Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
znib

14.06 Release notes?

Maybe I'm dumb but I don't find any release notes there... :(

Note: Most people don't know github, or aren't software developers. So you might as well link to some labyrinth puzzle...

Don't people make actual release notes (changelog or something) anymore?

That's the list of all the changes in Cura - you have to read each one going back to your current version or the previous version. There's lots of changes!

Here I found the release note popup code for Cura 14.06. It's in newVersionDialog.py in the /cura/gui/ folder:

s.Add(wx.StaticText(p, -1, 'Welcome to the new version of Cura.'))
s.Add(wx.StaticText(p, -1, '(This dialog is only shown once)'))
s.Add(wx.StaticLine(p), flag=wx.EXPAND|wx.TOP|wx.BOTTOM, border=10)
s.Add(wx.StaticText(p, -1, 'New in this version:'))
s.Add(wx.StaticText(p, -1, '* Updated drivers for Windows 8.1.'))
s.Add(wx.StaticText(p, -1, '* Added better raft support with surface layers and an air-gap. Special thanks to Gregoire Passault.'))
s.Add(wx.StaticText(p, -1, '* Improved outer surface quality on high detail prints.'))
s.Add(wx.StaticText(p, -1, '* Fixed bug with multiple machines and different start/end GCode.'))
s.Add(wx.StaticText(p, -1, '* Added initial support for BitsFromBytes machines.'))
s.Add(wx.StaticText(p, -1, '* Improved the Pronterface UI with buttons to set temperature and extrusion buttons.'))
s.Add(wx.StaticText(p, -1, '* Improved bridging detection.'))
[...]
if self.hasUltimaker is not None and False:
s.Add(wx.StaticText(p, -1, 'New firmware for your Ultimaker Original:'))
s.Add(wx.StaticText(p, -1, '* .'))
button = wx.Button(p, -1, 'Install now')
self.Bind(wx.EVT_BUTTON, self.OnUltimakerFirmware, button)
s.Add(button, flag=wx.TOP, border=5)
if self.hasUltimaker2 is not None:
s.Add(wx.StaticText(p, -1, 'New firmware for your Ultimaker2: (14.06.1)'))
s.Add(wx.StaticText(p, -1, '* Fixed a problem with the bed leveling. (Special thanks to stevegt for figuring this out)'))
s.Add(wx.StaticText(p, -1, '* Improved the start of the print, first moves the bed up before moving to the print.'))
s.Add(wx.StaticText(p, -1, '* Improved the start of the print, initial filament push is slower so it does not slip.'))
s.Add(wx.StaticText(p, -1, '* Made sure the head does not bump into the front of the casing at first startup.'))
s.Add(wx.StaticText(p, -1, '* Fixed support for the PauseAtZ plugin.'))
s.Add(wx.StaticText(p, -1, '* Added lifetime runtime stats. Allows you to see how long the printer has been running.'))
button = wx.Button(p, -1, 'Install now')

The history of a software repository is useful for developers, not for end users.

Often one feature or bug requieres more than one check-in and many comments only make sense when you know the code.

That's why release notes were invented, to summarize the changes for the 99% of the people who are not developers, so that they know what to expect from a new version.

And if the release notes are already there, then I don't understand why they are not published at https://www.ultimaker.com/blogs/news/categories/cura-release-notes where the release notes for all the other versions are and where everyone can find them.

Do remember that Daid is working alone on Cura.

I'm a software developer too and what i can tell you is that in case of high pressure (which is the case because the new version of Cura solves quite a big number of issues) the last thing you do is documentation... i know it's bad all developers know it but to me it's better to have a good software with weak documentation than a well documented crappy software :mrgreen:

Besides that a little question for Daid about the black magic expert setting to print only the shell. I didn't test this but what is the purpose? Printing something hollow with no infill at all? The info in Cura says, no top not bottom no infill... is is suited for everything or is it more like spiralize (only vases and stuff).

Besides that a little question for Daid about the black magic expert setting to print only the shell. I didn't test this but what is the purpose? Printing something hollow with no infill at all? The info in Cura says, no top not bottom no infill... is is suited for everything or is it more like spiralize (only vases and stuff).

I too would like to know more about it and its intentions.

Maybe I'm dumb but I don't find any release notes there... :(

Note: Most people don't know github, or aren't software developers. So you might as well link to some labyrinth puzzle...

Don't people make actual release notes (changelog or something) anymore?

You're presented with the major changes when starting the new version for the first time.

I did not track small bug-fixes or minor changes.

Black-magic options are called that for a reason. This new option disables 80% of the CuraEngine code, and just puts filament where there are polygons in the model. So you could model internal structures and stuff.

You're presented with the major changes when starting the new version for the first time.

I did not track small bug-fixes or minor changes.

Black-magic options are called that for a reason. This new option disables 80% of the CuraEngine code, and just puts filament where there are polygons in the model. So you could model internal structures and stuff.

Actually not, the window is put at the back behind the Cura main window. :-(

Maybe I should report this as a bug?

Actually not, the window is put at the back behind the Cura main window. :sad:

Maybe I should report this as a bug?

I know of the problem. But I do not know of a fix right now... (The Mac version has a few odd problems like this one)