Incredibly noisy fans

rhino_aus

Posted · Incredibly noisy fans

Hello all;

I just received my UM2 today and have been testing out a few prints but now one of the fans that blows on the bed and extruded plastic has started to rattle and is incredibly noisy. If I press my finger or the end of a pen on it to slows down and stops rattling but thats not really a good solution.

Is there an accepted replacement for those fans? I read a few post of noise fans but they all seems to be talking about the motor and electronics fans.

The Ultimaker Original electronics fan was notoriously noisy, but on the Ultimaker², some users have had problems with noisy fans on the head.

The side fans are 12V, the rear fan is 5V. If you really want to replace them, you might check for low-decibel (and for the side fans, PWM-controllable) fans made by e.g., Sunon in the appropriate dimensions.

In the short term, a simpler fix might be to check if all of the screws holding the fans on are tight. Some people have been able to quieten the fans by tightening/replacing/removing loose screws.

Hi,

Same problem here. I received my new UM2 yesterday and one of the fan is extremly noisy. It's a pity to mount so cheap fans on a high end printer.

I will try to play with the screws to see if it resolves the problem...

Will let you know if it comes better!

Do you have a link to a replacement fan shroud for the UM2? I can only seem to find one for the UM1

I would love to find a replacement fan for the UM2 as well. It is very very noisy. The connections are tight, it is almost as if the fan itself is loose somewhere internally. This is the center fan to be precise.

Has anyone by chance found a 5V PWM fan that works?

Which fan are you referring to?

The one 5V fan a the back of the print head or the two 12V fans at the sides?

For the 5V / 25mm fan at the back an ebmpapst 525N seems to be a good choice; a bit pricy but silent.

For me it is one of the ones on the side. I have printed a new shroud which allows me to run them at 50% and so the rattling isn't as bad; but its still dang annoying

Hi All

I have been working on a Ultimaker 2 that had fan issues the small third fan a the back of the extruder was not connected the the mother board ( I can't be sure but I think it got mist in the assembly of the unit as I don't think the user that owns it had ever got it to work properly and they probably would not have had it a part, they just went out and purchased an Up! printer ).

Anyhow when support explained the connector was hidden behind the motherboard (not the connector that I could see marked fan) I got the fan to work great.

Now I was surprised at the noise the fan made. So I poked about and notice the fan is screwed so the back of the fan is hard up against the heat sink this restricts the air flow and make a lot of turbulence noise. So I designed a small bracket that holds the fan 3mm back from the heat sink this allows better air flow and makes the fan quieter (not silent) this also has the added benefit of cooling the extruder assembly better! It may also help with the 2 extruder mod that I have read about maybe the fan as it is does not cool the assembly as well as it could

Now my question to everyone is is the unit I am working on missing something like a spacer or is this just the way it is.

If it is just the way it is - I will clean up the spacer design and put it up on the web if any one would like it.

Thanks

Andrew - Sydney Australia

There's no spacer used; however the fan blade piece should be facing outwards, so the back of the fan housing provides a little bit of spacing. I've seen some installed backwards.

If it's a good quality fan with good bearings it can be almost totally silent in operation, without any additional spacers etc.

Try one of venkel's fan ducts: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultimaker-2-fan-mount-dual--2

And Yes, wheeler, I'd love to see the spacer design.

Hello Illuminarti & EldRick

The niose I am hearing is air turbulence noise not bearing noise. The fan is installed to suck from the back of the printer so the air get pushed forward to the front of the printer passing over the heat sink. Take a look from the front of the extuder and you will note that there is only 2 hole that the air can move through without obstruction. If you place a small bit of paper in front of the extruder and note the air flow then remove the screws and move the fan backwards you will see the improvement in air flow and hear the reduction in noise.

The venkel's fan duct looks nice but I am working with the fan at the back of the extruder not the 2 fans at the side I think these fans are for PLA cooling, I tend to work in ABS. The side fans do not run 24/7 like the rear fan.

I have put this design up https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultimaker-2-extruder-fan-mod the two holes on the wings are for the the long screws (that hold the extruder together) and the othe 2 smaller hole are for the fan mounts (I added 2 blind hole so you can dill them out if you can find some extra scews for the fan) this is a quick and dirty design and works well when printed for my old Solidoodle (setup for small part manufature), you may need to change it a bit to print well on your printer maybe change the wall thickness (I have a smaller nozzel of 0.3mm).

If you think this maybe the right way to go I will cleanup the design. It was made with sketchup on my laptop while watching the Sydney City to Surf rush it way past my balcony, as I drank coffee and the speakers blasted out "running on empty" to help get the runners up the first hill, it took a number of hours to get the 85,000 runers up that hill and it was the easy hill.

Now to work on the filiment jamming in the teflon tube it seem tight after the exruder gear changes the shape of the filiment (little lumps and bumps that the teeth make).