Ultimaker 2 base leg not level

Posted · Ultimaker 2 base leg not level

Hi,

After hundred times of bad print and bed leveling, finally i found out the actual problem of my printer.

From the picture, you guys can clearly see the 3 legs behind is touching the surface while the front left leg is hanging in the air.

From my point of view, the machine had been twisted.

Now matter how find the build plate level i did, i still cant get a good print.

Could anyone help me to overcome this issue?

I just received this machine for 3 weeks.

Thanks in advance for support.

Regards,

Jordan Goh (Malaysia)

Hi Jordan,

Thank you for your message.

It looks like your Ultimaker received quite some blows during transit.

We have seen this before and we have improved our packaging several times.

However it looks like the couriers keep finding new ways to abuse packages :O

If you want we can have your Ultimaker replaced for a new one.

Since you are pretty far away from the HQ this may take a week or 2.

Could you tell me why you think your bed is 'impossible' to level?

In any way you are entitled (if I am not mistaken, I need your ordernumber first) to a replacement, but maybe

this is not the reason why you are experiencing the difficulties you have.

Jordan,

We recently released a firmware update for the UM2, which addresses a bed leveling issue that some people are having. Maybe this is the actual problem? As I highly doubt that an uneven foot causes these kinds of issues.

You can get the latest firmware from the latest Cura release at:

http://software.ultimaker.com/

I've seen Ultimakers with much worse - where only 3 feet touch the ground and the 4th is MUCH higher. Yet they printed great. It's probably something else. Please post a picture or video or better description of the problems you are experiencing.

My own personal printer was an early model that took a much worse beating in transit, and is far more skewed. And yet it prints perfectly well. As Daid and GR5 mentioned, print problems are probably related to something else. Go grab the latest Cura and install the firmware, from that, and are if that helps.

Dear All,

Thanks for your reply.

I've already install the latest cura and firmware earlier before I noticed the leg issue.

For the time being, seems like i already got a way to print a good one by fine tune the build plate.

Other than that, i really love my UM2.

Thanks again for the supprot from all of you.

Regards,

Jordan Goh

I can confirm... I have a "rocking chair" UM2 but it prints fine.

It even rattles against my desk sometimes while doing tight zig-zag fills... Unless I have propped the two shorter legs with something.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the concerns. My print now is already good.

However, I just found out another defect from my UM2.

Please look at the picture i uploaded.

photo 1

photo 2

I just found out when i trying to clean the nozzle.

And i never loosen or modify any thing from it.

A little disappointing with my machine here.

Thanks.

I could imagine that printers shipped by plane over large distances get a bit too cold during shipment and the thermal retraction of the printhead then leads to these cracks. Maybe wrapping some air bubble foil around the printhead might solve the problem.

Jordan - that crack probably won't make much difference either. But you should loosen all of the four long vertical thumbscrews before it gets any worse. Loosen them off (you may need pliers) and then re-tighten by hand until they're just finger tight.

Hi Jordan, may i know how did you buy the machine in Malaysia? I tried email ultimaker but no reply so far for enquiry.