Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
m3dical

How to print a non closed mesh

Hi,

I have a 3D mesh model (stl file) of a product that looks like a kind of cup. It is not closed. It has no thickness.

I want to print this, but it comes out wrong since cura does not know which side is the outside surface. I am no expert on 3D aplications which also does not help me.

As far as I can find I need to convert the 3D mesh to a closed model. For this I want to ad some sides to it or give it a layer thickness but Solidworks does not recognize the mesh.

Does anyone know how to print this? Please help...

I'd imagine if it is just a bunch of surfaces it would be impossible to print. You would need at least a closed polysurface of some sort to print it (and no naked edges)

I've never tried meshmixer... maybe you could extrude the polygons somehow there... but in a CAD package generally the mesh is just an end result of the actual model... sort of like extracted from the working model for STL export reasons.

Solidworks is bloody expensive so I don't think you'd have that laying about.

Take measurements carefully and redraw in Sketchup... That's what I would do if you don't want to pay through your nose. Many 3D printing companies can also assist with dodgy files...

ok... this is getting bit old but I just did something very similar myself and realised how to do this mega easy. This was done in Rhino (you can get a trial version of it which allows 20 saves)

From the mesh menu select offset mesh and select add caps.. wham! you have a nice solid with walls of whatever thickness you want.