Unable to print model with 210 width - Ultimaker original

olafweller

Posted · Unable to print model with 210 width - Ultimaker original

Hey guys,

I have an Ultimaker original. Using the Ulticontroller I checked that the endstops click at x=210 and y=210.

I now want to print a model that has a width of 210. But Cura will not allow me to do so unfortunately... :s

I changed the machine settings max width and max depth to 210, I set all figures in skirt and raft to 0. Brim to 1 (cannot put this on 0 and cannot find a "disable brim button")

To do a test I made a square of 210 and loaded it in to Cura with the above settings. When I press: Scale: To Max. It goes to 207 width/depth. When I then look at the Gcode I see it starts at x: 1.68, y:1.68 and goes to x:208.32

This tells me that there is a safety margin build in somewhere of 1.69 mm to prevent the printhead from "slipping"? and hitting the endstops.

Is this true?

Is there a way to overrule Cura and create the print I intend to?

(I also tried to increase machine settings max width and depth to 213 to print 210 but the minimum x and y is still about 1.7 so it goes to max 211.7 and therefore hits the endstops :s)

The only thing I can think of now is loading the whole GCode in to excel and change all the x coordinates to -1.7 but I hope this is not necessary.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Olaf

Try disabling brim from the Basic tab under Platform adhesion type.

Thank you for pointing this out. It was already disabled I see, so that cannot be the problem.

Anybody else?

Either do brim and 0 lines (I know it turns red but it works I think).

Or choose skirt (no adhesion) and set all 3 values to 0.

Try both of those things.

also be aware that the nozzle radius is .2mm so cura should print your part 209.6mm wide instead of 210 because the nozzle width is .4mm. So you should be able to print up to 210.39mm wide parts but Cura only lets you go up to 210.

Instead of subtracting 1.7 from the gcode you can do near the top of the file (after homing but before it starts printing):

G0 x0 y0

G92 x1.2 y1.2

This moves the test head to 0,0 and then tells the printer to count this as position (1.7,1.7).

Also most versions of Marlin have software endstops so you can disconnect the 3 unused endstop wires and then go here and build a version of Marlin that goes to 212mm software endstops and it might work.

http://marlinbuilder.robotfuzz.com/

Hi gr5

That are some great comments, thanks for helping out I will try this tomorrow!