Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
mark-hale

Change default settings

I was looking at the material settings today, I seem to recall seeing bed temperature as one of the material related parameters, along with an option to save your custom settings as a new preset. I have not tested this feature tho. Obviously the firmware version might be important.

Yes.

Oh - wait - you want to know how? :)

I'm not sure how. I did it but it was difficult. But that was back in December. Now the firmware has fixed at least 2 bugs in this feature. Basically there is a CUSTOMIZE option somewhere in the material settings. It took me about 20 tries to save. After you save your changes you have to choose *where* to save the changes. I didn't understand this the first 10 times. So you pick PLA to save into. If this doesn't work create 2 or 3 custom filaments and then go back and save into PLA. Other people reported not being able to save into PLA until they created 2 custom filaments first.

Still others reported that if you power cycle you lose the customization unless you do something with the lights. I didn't have that problem.

First you create a Custom profile. Then you save it. Then you save it again, this time choosing the PLA profile (the choosing panel looks exactly like the initial profile selection, which is VERY confusing). Then you carefully Return and you can see your (permanent) changes to the PLA profile. The changes don't go away.

It's a messy procedure that only a programmer could love or understand, but it can be done.

Personally, I find it easier to simply set the temps to zero (if using Cura) and then ignore the profiles completely and set temps manually with Pronterface.