Poor Print Quality

aviator

Posted · Poor Print Quality

Hello Ultimaker community,

I have recently assembled Ultimaker Original and started with printing. However there is a lot of tweaking and tuning to be done on Ultimeker it self and Cura.

I have tried different prints to test and jet there are some problems. Since it takes more than 4h to print this part I will rather ask you what could be your recommendations (I have read a lot of posts from this forum as well as used google to get some idea of settings in Cura for printing).

I am using 2.85mm PLA filament from Ultimaker.

Settings in Cura:

Screenshot from 2014 07 22 15:40:00

Screenshot from 2014 07 22 15:40:17

IMAG1923

IMAG1922

IMAG1920

IMAG1919

IMAG1918

IMAG1917

Why does top surfaces have those non smooth patterns? Caused by backlash?

Why circles are not circular but rather a bit elliptical?

Bridging does not work that good, should go slower?

Why there are material build ups at the end of the layers (can be seen at corners)?

Weird material sticking out at cylindrical parts?

Thank you in advance :)

I see under extrusion on the top of your print. Also, the results tend to be best if you use 2x your nozzle as shell thickness (in this case 0.8). I've had exceptionally awesome results with shells of 1.2, especially combined with little infill.

The higher parts of the print seem to suffer from layer shift, this is usually caused by your pulleys slipping while printing. This could also cause the elliptical circles, but these can also be caused by a high 'head resistance'. If the steppers are not powered, it should be easy to move the print head by hand.

I see under extrusion on the top of your print. Also, the results tend to be best if you use 2x your nozzle as shell thickness (in this case 0.8). I've had exceptionally awesome results with shells of 1.2, especially combined with little infill.

The higher parts of the print seem to suffer from layer shift, this is usually caused by your pulleys slipping while printing. This could also cause the elliptical circles, but these can also be caused by a high 'head resistance'. If the steppers are not powered, it should be easy to move the print head by hand.

Hi nallath,

I just wanted to keep those pointy pyramids as in model (with .8mm wall thickness Cura removes them after they get thinner than .8mm), but will try printing with .8mm thickness.

Not sure if there could be under extrusion printing with 1.2 mm^3/s, that should be alright. Will check my feeder system though.

It looks like you have some pretty bad backlash, I'd start by fixing that. There's some helpful tips on fixing it at the following page. The pictures show an UM2 but the same applies for your UM Original as well:

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/23-a-visual-ultimaker-troubleshooting-guide#circles

Hi IRobert,

I will re assemble my axis, seems that there is head resistance and re-tighten everything again.

Tnx for sharing info.

After a long Friday afternoon (re adjusting axis, printing end cups and tightening some belts and pulleys) my result is much better. Then I discovered that my pulleys and axes are eccentric (will contact with support about this matter). However I went on with repeated print and here is the result.

Things I changed in Cura from previous print: temp +10C and shell thickness 0.8mm (from 0.4mm).

Screenshot from 2014 07 30 11:21:30

Screenshot from 2014 07 30 11:21:51

IMAG1934

IMAG1935

IMAG1936

Any comments?

This is a pretty decent print.

How did you notice that the pulleys are eccentric? If you are refering to the outer bits of the pulleys; they will probably be eccentric; They are not specced to a very high tolerance. What matters is that the part were the teeth of the pulley are is nice and centric.

This is a pretty decent print.

How did you notice that the pulleys are eccentric? If you are refering to the outer bits of the pulleys; they will probably be eccentric; They are not specced to a very high tolerance. What matters is that the part were the teeth of the pulley are is nice and centric.

Hmmm, that is good point. However I red somewhere on forum that if you have a pulsating feeling when moving print head around (at some areas it moves faster followed by areas where it moves slower) is due to eccentric pulleys and I do have this. Anyways here is a video, maybe it helps:

One can see that axis is moving as well a bit up and down. I guess that is not OK.