Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
holto

Tall thin pieces?

Hey guys,

So, I tightened the living hell out of my short belts, that finally got rid of the weird circle issues. I feel like I'm really close to calibrated, but I keep having an issue.

I have a foot and leg of an animated character I'm working on. Thin, boney leg. It's attached to the foot. It goes fine for the entirely of the foot and the bottom part of the ankle... but as it gets further up the head I guess is moving in such small circles it's just kind of melting the leg and causing messy layers, etc... eventually is just is kind of stirring around in liquid and I have to kill the print.

I tried lowering the temp once it gets to the leg, but it doesn't seem to do any good. By the time I get to a point that it isn't melting, well, it isn't extruding either.

Any advice on tall thin object settings or is it just kind of not doable? I'd say the legs are about an 3-3.5mm thick...

Thanks for any help or advice!

Cheers,

Holto

you'll want a different fan for that.

the stock fan is good for large area objects, the mauritius? fan is better for tall objects. (

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:17768

)

but don't expect very tall and thin to ever be perfect - are you using Cura? there are settings there that will help with regard minimum layer times.

note that fan I linked is *only* good for tall thin objects or finely detailed things. it creates too much back pressure on the puny fan and most of the air comes out the wrong side.

I've come to the conclusion there is no 'one fan fits all' solution, but that will probably start a 'favorite fan' thread..

IMG_20120129_162856.small.jpeg

It is possible to do small thin legs, but this print took 4 tries. Printed at 200C. You need to get the speed settings just right. In case of Cura, it's tweaking the minimal layer time and the minimal feedrate (in expert settings)

I used this fan shroud:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:10501

Which doesn't provide a whole lot of airflow, but it does provide airflow just below the tip of the hotend, which works great for prints like you see above here.

Nice one chemwhite, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has sat in front of the printer furiously blowing through a straw and looking silly :p It worked great for the tips of the rotating cube but I did get a bit light headed :lol: