Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
pede

My prints collapses

Just received my ultimaker 2 yesterday!

Printed out alot of stuff already and i am quite happy!

But i have a problem I hope you guys and girls can help me solve :)?

The problem is when i make a print with straight walls it collapses in the top so the walls isn't straight anymore.

I printed this design: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:38006

With following settings:

Layer height: 0.1mm

Shell thickness: 0.8mm

Buttom/top thikness: 0.6mm

Fill Density: 20%

Print speed: 20mm/s

Nozzle temp: 220Co

Bed temp: 60Co

The print turend out like this:

iEkLXzL.jpg

v17AoVU.jpg

uPj5p3K.jpg

Hope someone can help me fix this annoying problem.

Thanks in advance!

What you found is a fundamental problem of (FDM) 3D printing. The printer needs some surface to deposit the material onto. If you try to print in the air, it has nothing to be supported on. This 'collapses' your print.

There are some hacks & tricks that you can use to prevent / lessen this issue. Try using support material (Cura has some options for this), changing the print orientation and lower temperature.

Read the description on the thingiverse item ....."if you print this on a 3d printer" in other words the designer never has!

Have a look at this one - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:19690 where the designer has thought about 3d printing!

Print some test cubes and torture tests - but Ideally don't start with rubbish on thingiverse where there is no picture of an actual print!

Come back and tell us the results.

James

Thanks for the replies!

This i just one of the prints other prints eg. an iphone case i printed ended up the same way with leaning walls i dont posted them because it´s hard to see on pictures.

I will not start to disassembling my printer already and risk losing warranty...

My printer is 3 days old there should not be a problem with the mechanics already??

Is there some kind of test print i should try to print out to show how much the print collapse and it is not just the print i found on thingiverse ??

Thanks in advance for any help!

You're not disassembling anything, you're just tightening screws that might've gotten shaken loose during shipping. This will not void your warranty. Think of it as tightening the bolts that hold the wheels to your car in place, it's basically the same thing :)