Full Graphic Smart Controller (ebay) + Ultimaker board fix

Posted · Full Graphic Smart Controller (ebay) + Ultimaker board fix

Hi Guys,

I'm building a large 3D printer and was assembling electronics today.

I've got ultimaker 1.5.7 board and attempted to run Marlin 1.0 firmware with Full Graphic Smart Controller that I bought on ebay.

I couldn't make it work for 2 days and had the controller just beeping, or if you swap the connectors - buzzing none stop. No display at all.

The problem appeared to be in the connecting ribbons.

The Ultimaker Board has sockets for the headers with special stub in it. It is done to prevent reverse plugging.

However that exactly was a problem.

When I turned both headers, it worked just fine!

(I had to actually cut the stubs on headers and plug it other way around. I unfortunately had no spare headers to fix the connecting ribbons properly).

Full Graphics Smart Controller And  Ultimaker

gr5 edit: added his photo

• Replies 86
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This got me interested. What is the main advantage over, say, the UItimaker propietary Ulticontroller? It seems there is not much gain price wise, so there must be something else :)

This got me interested. What is the main advantage over, say, the UItimaker propietary Ulticontroller? It seems there is not much gain price wise, so there must be something else :)

The main graphical screen and the amount of lines of text you can see at the same time are the main differences.

Odd, I have what appears to be the same exact controller (also got it on ebay) but it worked fine without messing with the connectors. Maybe it's the aftermarket board that has it backwards?

Besides the screen having a little more room to play with, this controller was under $20 shipped vs UM's $105 + shipping.

To UM's credit, mine came with no enclosure and required slightly more fiddling around with the firmware to get it to work.

Also, since you got it working, I don't think I actually posted this anywhere.

I planned to do a little more messing around with this display but some time consuming things came up. I did manage to change the start-up logo to a UM one though. There's info on how to use this on the actual gallery post

UM logo to replace Reprap logo

Besides the screen having a little more room to play with, this controller was under $20 shipped vs UM's $105 + shipping.

To UM's credit, mine came with no enclosure and required slightly more fiddling around with the firmware to get it to work.

Those are different prices than what I found, in that case it actually makes sense :) If it is appropriate on this forum, do you have any additional information?

Without wanting to sound harsh, because I think Ultimaker is doing a pretty good job, I never really cared for the housing of the Ulticontroller and feel it might be a bit on the expensive side too. Something like this seems like an excellent alternative.

Hey OP/Kitwashere,

Can you provide more information on the firmware adjustments that were required in order to get this to perform as well as the UM controller?

Many Thanks

I had no time so far tu publish it, but I can share my firmware if someone is interested in...

15167539760_42b6d473b1.jpg

(It is the 'official' Ultimaker Marlin compiled with support for the 'Full Graphic Smart Controller')

Hey OP/Kitwashere,

Can you provide more information on the firmware adjustments that were required in order to get this to perform as well as the UM controller?

Many Thanks

From what I remember, in "Configuration.h" in the marlin firmware you just have to un-comment one line.

Line 523:

"// #define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER"

should become:

"#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER"

I had no time so far tu publish it, but I can share my firmware if someone is interested in...

15167539760_42b6d473b1.jpg

(It is the 'official' Ultimaker Marlin compiled with support for the 'Full Graphic Smart Controller')

That sure looks pretty nice.

BTW,

How is the knob on that one? The stock Ultimaker one advances twice for each index, which can be annoying. Another potential area for improvement in the UM version is refresh rate. Browsing a long list of files can be annoying because the display can't keep up (takes to long to render a line)

Whoa, that looks great. Is that a home brewed case and knob? Care to share the stl file?

So in terms of firmware, there isn't really that much to it. Is there a way of updating firmware through cura (I need to do it this way as I have UMO and HBK), then taking that file and modifying it? Where is the firmware file located? Sorry for the super basic question, but i'm not up and running yet, still building.

How did you get the UM symbol?

Okay...

Some answers to the questions ;)

I don't deserve any credit, I just putted together information gathered here and there.

That sure looks pretty nice.

Tnx ;)

There are a couple of other pictures with the display here.

How is the knob on that one? The stock Ultimaker one advances twice for each index, which can be annoying.

I forgot how the UltiController advances... With this one you need one or two 'clics' to move in the menus, when it comes to change a value, you have several 'units' per clic so you need to get used to, but I think it is a good balance.

Another potential area for improvement in the UM version is refresh rate. Browsing a long list of files can be annoying because the display can't keep up (takes to long to render a line)

I would rate it as 'OK' -- It is not high grade, but good enough -- when it comes to the file list, the big display is definitely an advantage.

Whoa, that looks great. Is that a home brewed case and knob? Care to share the stl file?

Printed shamelessly using a design from Thingiverse ;)

Be careful, do not use the 'emergency' button (glue it) as it will short the UM power supply.

So in terms of firmware, there isn't really that much to it. Is there a way of updating firmware through cura (I need to do it this way as I have UMO and HBK), then taking that file and modifying it? Where is the firmware file located? Sorry for the super basic question, but i'm not up and running yet, still building.

It is not complicated, but if you start from the original UM firmware you will have to backport the LCD code...

Once compiled, you can update it from Cura.

Are you building with the 'official' UM HBK or home brewed?

I don't have too much time this week, but I'll publish the changes and the firmware for various combinations sometime next week...

In the meantime, here is a link to my firmware (Standard UMO, no HBK -- exactly the same as the one coming with Cura, except for the display)

How did you get the UM symbol?

See post #5

Where did everyone get his Full Graphic Smart Controller from (preferably full address links)? I have looked around quite a bit and have found controllers ranging from the very cheap (20 dollar or so) to the really not so cheap (up to around a 100 dollar), generally without any indication of build quality or other relevant properties. I am really not too sure what to look at and what to get, though taking a gamble with a cheaper unit might be the most prudent route.

The original design is from RepRapDiscount, and there is good information on the http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRapDiscount_Full_Graphic_Smart_Controller.

RepRapDiscount sells them for about $70, and you can find Chinese version at about any prices as you mentioned.

I went for a cheap one on the Bay (15€, free shipping!); I am not too impressed by the build quality, but it works very well.

I went for a cheap one on the Bay (15€, free shipping!); I am not too impressed by the build quality, but it works very well.

Any chance you could dig up the name of the seller?

This one...

Do you see any reason not to get this one, or should I keep looking? What exactly did you not like about the build quality?

I am assuming build quality is a result of the price and that it will not differ much from cheap unit to unit. If needs be I can resolder connections or most other small to moderately complex operations. My priority is that the unit is reliable and if it's possible I would like a decent looking screen, without too much backlight bleeding and such.

I am assuming build quality is a result of the price and that it will not differ much from cheap unit to unit.

Right, it is not 'high grade', but it is working well and is reliable. At least mine had the headers and the cables mounted in the correct direction unlike the one mentioned in post #1 :p

Most of these units are coming from the same place anyway...

Do you see any reason not to get this one, or should I keep looking? What exactly did you not like about the build quality?

I am assuming build quality is a result of the price and that it will not differ much from cheap unit to unit. If needs be I can resolder connections or most other small to moderately complex operations. My priority is that the unit is reliable and if it's possible I would like a decent looking screen, without too much backlight bleeding and such.

When I was looking for a graphic monochromatic backlit LCD for a project, there did not appear to be a substantial difference in display quality among most common units. Cost seems to be by far the biggest priority in this market segment.

That said, the communication for these LCD can be pretty standard, so you may very well be able to find an electricaly compatible replacement. I just wouldn't hope for anything substantially better, unless the one you wind up with is total crud.

That said, the communication for these LCD can be pretty standard, so you may very well be able to find an electricaly compatible replacement. I just wouldn't hope for anything substantially better, unless the one you wind up with is total crud.

Amadee's experience sounds fine. I might desolder the emergency button to prevent mishaps, but otherwise this will probably do nicely and is dirt cheap to boot. Since I consider the controller to be a toy and a luxury rather than a necessity that nicely adds up.

Since I consider the controller to be a toy and a luxury rather than a necessity that nicely adds up.

Actually I had an UMO without controller and I found it was a real pain as it then requires a computer permanently hooked...

The UltiController would have been my first choice, but then there was this one for less than the standard Ultimaker shipping fee, so I decided to try it and I do not regret it.

But the point is: unless you want to dedicate a computer for printing (OtoPrint?) a controller is a must, not a nice-to-have.

I found out there is an alternative version of the graphic controller that allows you to toggle the backlight. I am trying to find one that has that and a blue backlight right now and if I do I think I will go with that one.

The worst case scenerio is that it might disappoint, but getting a second unit at these prices is not the end of the world.

But the point is: unless you want to dedicate a computer for printing (OtoPrint?) a controller is a must, not a nice-to-have.

Most of my current work consist of producing relatively fast iterations before I finalize an object, which means frequent contact with a computer anyway. The easier route is hooking it up to a computer, rather than swapping SD cards back and forth a couple of times a day.

It is just that I would sometimes during a longer print like to free up my computer, allowing reboots and intensive applications without those interfering with the printing process. In that case a controller is a nice thing to have

This one...

Hmm... Doesn't ship to the U.S., but this one looks very similar. http://www.ebay.com/itm/3D-Printer-RAMPS1-4-LCD12864-Intelligent-Controller-LCD-12864-Control-Panel-BDUS-/291285196804?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d1f36004

Any indication if the circuit board color indicates revision or anything?

BTW, amazing that they can put that together and get it from Hong Kong to your door for less than $20.

Any indication if the circuit board color indicates revision or anything?

I have only found that the white ones typically have the extra light options, I am not sure of any other differences. There seem to be different PCB shapes too (rectangular and square).

I also have the full grapic smart controller, but when compiling the firmware I get the error message: "lcd_implementation_draw_line 'was not declared in this scope" I have already installed the corresponding libary.