Printing with 1.75 mm filament

cecilievf

Posted · Printing with 1.75 mm filament

Hey everbody!

I have some exciting new materials I would like to test on my Ultimaker 2 or Ultimaker Original but it only comes in 1.75 mm filament diameter. Does anybody have any tips and tricks on how to make this work?

Have you tried printing on Ultimakers with 1.75 mm filament and how did it work?

Cheers,

Cecilie

Without any modifications (Feeder, Bowden, Print head) there is no way to use 1.75mm diameter Filament on Ultimaker machines.

Please do not use the wrong pair shoes...

My English without translation-software, sorry about that. Markus

You need an alternate Material-feeder for 1.75mm Filament, a Bowden with 2mm inner diameter, and a complete print-head with smaller cold-end / heating chamber (J-head / E3D full metal extruder / hexagon full metal extruder, or so).

It is for sure possible to go on with 1.75mm Filament, but it is much more complicated.

We have successfully printed using 1.75 material. It tends to meander in the boden tube, and retracts aren't immediate, but it prints.

However, I expect this is highly dependent on both the rigidity and coeficient of friction of the material. And I wouldn't do it as a usual thing, it probably wears out the boden tube much faster.

But if you've gotten in a few feet of a sample material in 1.75, and just want to try it, it can work in the UM II without mods. Depending.

I am a newbie so I purchased some 1.75 mm Polymakr filament material. It could not

push out the 3.00 mm stuff that was left in the nozzle, so I had to disassemble the head &

clean everything. When I got it back together it still would not feed. I went back to the ABS

for now, but I need something that will not shrink. The Polymakr stuff says it has little shrinkage & it comes in 3.0 mm. So I will try to find some of the larger stuff. What bothers me

is that after I cleaned the head, I manually tried to shove the 1.75 mm up the tube while I manually heated the head to 250 DegC & it still would not come out of the nozzle.

If you have hundreds of dollars of 1.75mm filament and no printer to print it with consider getting the 1.75mm conversion kit from my store at gr5.org/store.

Anyway you can print ABS just fine on the Um2 - but there are many tricks to getting it working perfectly. What do you mean by "will not shrink". What exactly is the problem - please show a picture. For example is it simply not staying on the bed? Or are vertical round holes too small? Or are there things that you think warped related to shrinkage (unlikely)? A photo would be best.

Anyway at this point perhaps you have a nozzle clogged with ABS? Heating ABS to 255 for 5 minutes will bake it into a kind of hard chewing gum which is tough to get out - you probably have to take it all apart. You might want to consider installing an olsson block as then it's easy to take the nozzle off and clean it out the next time you have problems. Although I've been fine without the Olsson block for years of printing. Anyway - the Olsson block is also at my store.

I don't usually advert my stuff so much. Really. It's just that 2 possible issues you have might (might!) lend themselves to stuff in my store.

If you get the 1,75mm Olsson block and ptfe, then you can convert your printer fully to 1,75mm with mostly printed pieces that you can find on my YouMagine page: https://www.youmagine.com/meduza/designs

Don't forget you need a 1.75mm nozzle also. But you don't really need to change the bowden according to Anders Olsson. he says the bowden for 3mm filament works fine for 1.75mm filament. The feeder works fine as is also.

I'm not sure why people change to 1.75mm as you can get every type of filament out there in 3mm.

I am a newbie so I purchased some 1.75 mm Polymakr filament material.  It could not

push out the 3.00 mm stuff that was left in the nozzle, so I had to disassemble the head &

clean everything. When I got it back together it still would not feed.  I went back to the ABS

for now, but I need something that will not shrink.  The Polymakr stuff says it has little shrinkage & it comes in 3.0 mm. So I will try to find some of the larger stuff.  What bothers me

is that after I cleaned the head, I manually tried to shove the 1.75 mm up the tube while I manually heated the head to 250 DegC & it still would not come out of the nozzle.

The only that I don't have clear it's the part where you said you 'cleaned the head'. You did enough atomic pulls? And the atomics where perfectly clean? Mainly because when you mix materials it's a must to do. You can't change from material A to B without atomics (you can but you might get problems when the particles left burn and block).

And ofc, as others said, to properly print 1.75 you need hotend, ptfe, bowden, nozzle.

For my the main advantages of 1.75 are:

Less grinding because:

a)- You can do more retractions (more filament moves to print the same on 2.85mm) So less stringing chances.

b)- You can retract less mm.

Less temperature because:

a) Smaller filament need's less heat, but ofc more filament must move to print the same area.

b) There's more metal (physically) getting heat.

Less dripping:

a) Lower temps at fast speeds make the filament less viscous.

b) Less amount of filament on the hotend vs gravity, less dripping.

But for me the diamond shaped it's a no go for 1.75 unless you change the bearing of the feeder, or the diamond shaped bolt to mk7.