Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
ultiarjan

GoPro front audio frame

Hi,

made this "ear frame", to better pick up audio only from the front of the GoPro, but it seems to have hardly any effect..... any GoPro expert out there who could tell me why I hardly notice any difference between front and back ?

The mic is in the middle of the "ear" part of the frame.....

TheEar

Focal Point, very cool idea, with the focal point you may need to play with the mounting. :) maybe make the cone clip on as to have the ability to clip on larger "ears" for ability to capture audio at a much larger directional distance. This would be good for wildlife or spying purposes :D

reflectioncurved.jpg

Bad news :(

The Ear printed

Nice print, nice design, bad functionality..... tested it by talking and walking around it, the sound from the back seems just as loud as sound from the front.

I'll have a look at external mic's. At least the good thing is I now have a good model of a perfectly fitting "frame" if I want to design one later for mounting an external mic...

Maybe as a last try I need to test it out in the open... as the sound is really dampend when you put a finger on the mic holes.... so theoretically it should have some effect...

Maybe attach some foam rubber to the backside of your dome? Since it's so small of an area, if sound hits that plastic from the back, it could be resonating the entire dome, which then directs the sound down into the mic because of its shape. Maybe 1/2" to 1" thick might deaden anything from that side.

If that does have an effect, then maybe printing your reflector in something softer, like soft pla, would also work better? If it does, then try making the dome thicker, say 1/4"~1/2" with maybe 25% infill. A solid object will pass sound better than one with an air cavity.

First of all you need to model a parabolic curve where the focal point is just inside the mic. Not a sphere. Not an ellipse. A parabola with the axis of the parabola facing towards where the sound is coming from.

Second of all I'm not sure how well this will work at typical audio frequencies. The wavelength of middle A is 440 Hz and where sound is about 300 meters per second 300/440 is (very roughly) a meter in wavelength. I'm not sure if such a tiny parabola has much effect. Of course if you go up to 10KHz (almost 5 octaves higher on the piano! Well that's above all the notes on a piano but still can hear it) I would expect a huge improvement. But again if you get the shape of the parabola wrong by even just 3mm here and there it won't work at all. In other words a sphere shaped surface won't work any better than a cube shaped.

Try tones from your watch and line them up exactly with the axis of the parabola - at least 20 feet in front of the camera. Very high pitches.

Most parabolic microphones are seen at sports events and are at least a half meter in diameter.