Error - Stopped Temp sensor

carlose_martin

Posted · Error - Stopped Temp sensor

Good day!

I bought an ultimaker 2 printer last week, and I received it last thursday. I went through the configuration wizard and succesfully printed a trial print - so far, so good.

Then I started doing some print tests to familiarize myself with the printer, and the first two went beautifully. However, after the third print was done and the printer was in the cooling down phase before print removal, the screen showed the following error:

"Error - Stopped

Temp sensor

Contact ultimaker support"

I submitted a ticket and checked the forums for relevant topics. So far, most of the advice I've seen involves opening the printer, which I'm leery of doing because I don't want to void the printer's warranty.

Is there something else I might try to solve this issue? so far I've tried resetting the printer to its factory settings, but the error comes up immediately after the loading material part of the configuration wizard.

is it a common issue, or should I be worried?

Thanks in advance!

It's a common issue. It's usually an open in the temp sensor cabling meaning a wire is broken or not connected. There are stickers telling you what you can't take apart that will void the warranty. The only sticker I know about is on the bed connector. So go ahead and put the UM2 on it's side and remove the larger cover. This is not an iphone - the printer is designed to be disassembled easily.

The larger cover is the one you want - there are only 2 screws holding it on.

If you are lucky the wire simply fell out. Things get loose during shipping.

Even when your ticket finally gets serviced they will likely simply send you another temperature probe and you will have to remove the cover then anyway to connect the new probe (and you will have to do so much more).

More likely the probe broke or the wiring broke right at the nozzle. This repair is more difficult.

Thanks for your answer, Gr5.

I disconnected the temp1 cable and connected it again, appliying some pressure with a tweezer to make sure it latched ok. The printer finished the configuration wizard without a hitch and I'm going to print a test to see if its solved.

Thank you very much!

@ClosedCircuit

I did - I followed the instructions to open the electronics of the printer. However, since it says temp error bed, I thought it might be for a different error than mine, because the message on my printer didn't have the word "bed". It's my understanding - after checking a few threads in this forum - that the error is related to the nozzle sensor rather than the bed sensor.

And you're right, it's an excellent guide!

Well, the error has come back, when I was tightening the feeder screw.

I opened the electronics again, disconnected and connected the temp1 sensor again, and went into maintenance mode -> move material. I kept and eye on the extruder temp while I fiddled with the feeder screw. The temperature rose steady up to 210º, and then afterwards it rose a bit more slowly until it reached 230º, then it gave the temp sensor error.

I'm thinking it could be the electronics board, as the wires feel slightly loose, but I'm not sure. Are there any other tests I might perform?

Thanks in advance

UPDATE

I turned off the printer, then turned it on again, and went again to the move material option in maintenance. Same thing happened - the error appeared at 230º. I got curious, turned off the printer and waited a long while, then turned it on again. This time I just used the option to heat up the nozzle, and set the target temp to 190º.

The printer reached the 190º temp, and a few seconds later gave the error. Apparently once the nozzle has been hot for sometime, the sensor malfunctions.

If the wiring to the temp sensor is open or shorted it is easy to tell. But if the temp sensor fell out, it's hard to tell.

There is a PID algorithm that maintains the heater temperature. If certain variables exceed certain limits in the PID algorithm then you also get a temperature error indicating that perhaps the sensor probe is no longer in the head and the head is MUCH hotter than you think it is and things are going to start to melt soon.

I'm wondering if you possibly hit this software error? Probably not - probably there is some bad wiring - a loose wire.

I would just turn it on at 20C (room temp) and giggle the wires a bit - especially near the print head and see if the temperature jumps suddenly or if you get the error again.

I recommend you request a new temp probe from ultimaker. They will send you the entire cable and probe. Then even if you get it working you will have a spare. Probably a much more reliable spare.

Alternatively you could remove the entire probe and cut it open carefully like someone else on these forums did and replace the tiny sensor in there or at least re-solder everything and repackage everything.

Good afternoon

Thanks for the advice! I just did as you recommended (my room temp is 30º) and I wiggled the wires a bit, and then a bit more. Hard as I tried, the temperature moved 1º only, even when I was moving the wires near the print head.

If it's a software issue, how can I solve it?

Thank you very much!

UPDATE

I did some more tests today, using the move material function. The nozzle heated up without problems until it reached 210º, then the temp skyrocketed and the temp error appeared.

I shut it down, disconnected the printer and waited 40 minutes, then turned it on again, entered the heat nozzle function and tried moving the sensor wires (just in case). Temp didn't change. I selected move material again, and once more the temperature increased steadily until 210º, then it went off the scale again.

Once again, shut down printer, waited 40 minutes, turn on again, went to heat nozzle and set the temp to 100º. The temperature of the extruder reached 130º, then startet oscillating between 130º - 110º, so I then started increasing the temp slowly (130, then 150, then 170, then 190). In all cases the temperature of the extruder oscillated between 10º higher than the set temp, or 10º lower (I.E. 140-120 when set at 130).

Finally, once it reached 190º degrees, it kept climbing until the error appeared.

I'm at a loss as what can be the problem. Any suggestions?

You need a new temp sensor. Either there is excessive insulation or more likely some wiring comes loose as things expand at the higher temperatures. Create a ticket at support.ultimaker.com or just buy one from the link I supplied above.

While waiting for a new one you could take yours apart if you have the tools:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/7151-ultimaker-2-temperature-sensor-error/

Thanks for your advice, Gr5. I've already opened a ticket and I've updated them this morning with my previous post. I'll guess I'll just have to wait until they answer back.

Thanks again for your advice

If you like to experiment and tinker you can remove the cable from the board under the printer and measure the resistance. Here is the table valid for all platinum PT100 sensors:

http://www.intech.co.nz/products/temperature/typert.html

I would test it hot (around 200C). See if the resistance is also bouncing around.

The description of the problem seems identical to what I faced with my (2nd) temperature sensor. You might want to read about my experiences here:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/5431-thermocouple-failure/

Thanks, 3Poro. I'll bookmark it and read it carefully.

I've already ordered a replacement sensor - as I can't afford to wait an additional 3-4 days until the support ticket is answered. I hope this won't become a recurrent problem.

Posted (edited) · Error - Stopped Temp sensor

I'm currently having exactly the same problem. Any resolution to this?

edit didnt see the 2nd page. (new forum layout xD)

Edited by Guest