flame-retardant 3d printing materials for ultimaker 2 (UL94 V-0)

christoph

Posted · flame-retardant 3d printing materials for ultimaker 2 (UL94 V-0)

hello everybody,

i'm currently searching for flame-retardant 3d printing materials that can be used with the ultimaker 2 (so 2.85mm filament).

a longer google search and a search in different forums ended without satisfying results.

it looks like innofil3d has or had a flame-retardant material called innofr (mentioned in the special filaments section on https://www.igo3d.com/de/3d-drucker-filamente/2-85mm-filamente/spezial-2-85-mm-filamente.html), but you can't get it there and http://www.innofil3d.com seems to be down. unluckily i could't find the filament elsewhere.

so if anybody knows where to get flame-retardant filaments for the ultimaker 2 with shipping to germany i would really appreciate your help.

the material should fulfill the UL94 V-0 requirements regarding the flame-retardant properties.

thanks a lot!

christoph

Hi Christoph,

Not trying to shamelessly plug a product here, but the company I work for (MadeSolid) makes a filament called PET+ that will self-extinguish once a fire source is removed. I'm not sure if you're looking for something more flame retardant than that as I am not familiar with the UL94 V-0 standard, but it may be worth checking out.

Here's a video of a burn test with PLA and ABS being used for comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpFZEl-cXv4#t=97

Again, not trying to shamelessly advertise our product here, but I thought the material might fit your need.

Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions!

-Will

The innofill web site seems to work and talk about FR in its special material section. Try contacting them to know if it will work and where you can get it from

thanks for your replies! i appreciate your help!

Hi Christoph,

Not trying to shamelessly plug a product here, but the company I work for (MadeSolid) makes a filament called PET+ that will self-extinguish once a fire source is removed. I'm not sure if you're looking for something more flame retardant than that as I am not familiar with the UL94 V-0 standard, but it may be worth checking out.

Here's a video of a burn test with PLA and ABS being used for comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpFZEl-cXv4#t=97

Again, not trying to shamelessly advertise our product here, but I thought the material might fit your need.

Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions!

-Will

UL94 V-0 means: burning stops within 10 seconds on a vertical specimen; drips of particles allowed as long as they are not inflamed (wikipedia). i will have a look at the pet+.

The innofill web site seems to work and talk about FR in its special material section. Try contacting them to know if it will work and where you can get it from

i still can't reach the innofil website. i even tried different browsers. but i found their email-address in the google-cached version of the site. so i'm going to write an email. i will inform you about their answer if i get one.

Afaik PET+ is only V-2. And you need at least 3.2mm thickness.

at least v-2 is better than hb. :)

at least v-2 is better than hb. :)

It's hb under 3.2mm thickness... :sad:

It's hb under 3.2mm thickness... :sad:

ok, so that's no option.

-

already got a reply from innofil3d:

We are currently setting up our distribution network and iGo3D is our distributor for Germany, but does not yet offer all our (special) products.

What iGo3D does not yet offer, you can purchase directly from us. Please find enclosed our product portfolio.

The flame retardant PLA fulfils UL 94 HB; we have enclosed the TDS.

also hb. :(

While looking for other stuff, I found flame resistant ABS filament here: http://filaments.ca/collections/flame-resistant/products/flame-resistant-abs-filament-1kg-spool

I am working with a material that meets the requirement of UL94V-0. Please let me know if you are interested. This material is not on the market currently, it is in the testing phase.

• Like 1

I am working with a material that meets the requirement of UL94V-0.  Please let me know if you are interested.  This material is not on the market currently, it is in the testing phase.

Hi Spiderfilament,

We are a medical startup company based in Vancouver Canada, we are very interested in your filament.

Could you send me more information regarding it?

Best,

Jordan YK