Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
jweaver

CURA (14.09) looses config after a crash

Recommended Posts

I have had to restart CURA a few times in the past few days (no evidence that this is actually a problem with CURA)..

But when I load CURA the next time, my config is lost and I am asked what printer I have.

This is starting to get annoying as its happened 3 times in the past 2 days and I am fed up having to enter all my config again.

I am sure I can back up the config under the install directory which i will do now.. But I just thought someone might like to know...

I assume this is a 'bug'.. How do I report it to CURA?

Jon

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked for my preference files to take a backup and where as in 14.07 they are in th install directory in 14.09 they have moved to /USERS.

So there has clearly been a change to the design and i wonder if there is a more fundamental problem.. Perhaps its a Windows thing (permissions?) rather than Cura?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Re. the lost config after crash, I have the same issue on my Mac with 14.07...

 

Re. the directory change in 14.09, it is intended behaviour, Daid mentioned it recently in another thread...

 

I realise thats intended behavour. I only mention it incase it was the cause of the issue..

But now you come to mention it, i am sure i saw this with 14.07 too when i was playing around with it before i got ky printer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cura saves the config on exit, so it's not odd that it loses config when it crashes.

 

Understood.. So could there be an option added to force save config? And then to expand this, a way to "load" another config. This would be useful as you could have multiple configs for different applications?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cura saves the config on exit, so it's not odd that it loses config when it crashes.

 

Well...

It is a bit odd, because I would expect to revert back the last saved config, not to the setup screen...

But it is not a big deal, I skip all questions then load a profile. There are just of couple of things that are not in the profile...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, just found out I'm on a German tour for work the next month so will not have much time during that period anyway, hopefully your more happy with your new baby when I return to home base :-)

Thanks in advance for your great work, really like the current Cura already so new one must be awesome when it is completely done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back on subject.. Is there any chance that this might be fixed.

I have had 5 crashes this week alone (not Curas fault).. And every time, I have to go through the motions of setting up my printer again.. I know I can load the config which gets 90% back (although its annoying if I have made a change for the last job and can't remember what it was).. But the profile doesnt restore the "preferences" or any "machine" related config.

Its not a big deal, but its really annoying.. Can anything be done to stop this behavour?

Jon

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One would have to introduce an auto-save for the profile. This means that if you change some settings to test the result these changes are saved to the profile as well. I'm pretty sure I don't want this (sorry!).

I don't mind if it doesn't do an autosave.. I just want to to work in the same way as it does if you shutdown CURA normally.

It makes no sense that if you shutdown Cura and run it again, then all settings were as before.. But when it 'crashes' it looses ALL config.

I don' think it needs an auto-save.. It just needs to load the profile/config that was present when you last ran CURA.

Jon

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, sorry, there was a misunderstanding from my side... I didn't realise you loose all configuration (as Cura never crashes on my computer :-P ).

You already mentioned that you can get back 90% of the configuration by loading a standard saved config. For the remaining 10%: I assume you're printing directly over USB, right? Then you can save the gcode by right-clicking onto the printer icon. In the case of a crash you can reload the settings from this gcode file. That might be the best option for you until you fixed the origin for the crashes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, sorry, there was a misunderstanding from my side... I didn't realise you loose all configuration (as Cura never crashes on my computer :-P ).

You already mentioned that you can get back 90% of the configuration by loading a standard saved config. For the remaining 10%: I assume you're printing directly over USB, right? Then you can save the gcode by right-clicking onto the printer icon. In the case of a crash you can reload the settings from this gcode file. That might be the best option for you until you fixed the origin for the crashes.

The 10% you can't get back is all of the "machine" related stuff.. AFter a crash, CURA acts like its the first time you are using it.. So you have to tell it what printer you have and then set the "Preferences".. it takes about a minute, but is pain.

Unfortunatly, I am running CURA on an old laptop until I can free up the space in my study to house the pinter and connect it to my main PC.. So CURA often hangs when doing lots of complex stuff.. This isn't a fault of CURA and I accept it as my problem.. But I am just surprised that CURA can't recover from something like this.

Jon

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, the remaining 10% are preferences that are not in the profile (like printing preferences, ...).

The best option is actually to backup the config directory (wherever it is on your system).

(I eventually setup a Cura dev environment, I'll try to spend some time to understand why Cura absolutely wants to 'initialize' each time after a crash...)

(Edit -- cross-posted, didn't saw previous answer, but I confirm ;) )

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, the remaining 10% are preferences that are not in the profile (like printing preferences, ...).

The best option is actually to backup the config directory (wherever it is on your system).

(I eventually setup a Cura dev environment, I'll try to spend some time to understand why Cura absolutely wants to 'initialize' each time after a crash...)

(Edit -- cross-posted, didn't saw previous answer, but I confirm ;) )

Cheers.. I need to do some testing to see when I can restore the config? Perhaps after a crash, I can simply restore the backup of the config folder before I run CURA next time.

I will have to do some tests, but I am not sure how to trigger a 'crash' to enable me to test.

Jon

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a copy of my 'preferences.ini' file.

If I end-up in the configuration wizard when I start Cura, then I exit and restore my saved preferences file.

Cheers.. I have a backup...But ever time I get the "wizard" I figured its quicker to click on a few radio buttons, than it is to drill down in the file system to restore the file.

But its a good point and I will bear it in mind.

Jon

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Our picks

    • How to 3D print with reinforced engineering materials
      Ultimaker is hosting a webinar where we explain how you can achieve and maintain a high print success rate using these new reinforced engineering materials. Learn from Ultimaker's Product Manager of Materials and top chemical engineer Bart van As how you can take your 3D printing to that next level.
      • 0 replies
    • "Back To The Future" using Generative Design & Investment Casting
      Designing for light-weight parts is becoming more important, and I’m a firm believer in the need to produce lighter weight, less over-engineered parts for the future. This is for sustainability reasons because we need to be using less raw materials and, in things like transportation, it impacts the energy usage of the product during it’s service life.
        • Like
      • 12 replies
×

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!