UM Original Hot End Problem

onkelgeorg

Posted · UM Original Hot End Problem

Hi all,

since a couple of weeks I have a strange problem on my UMO hotend.

When the filament cooled down after a print and is re-heated I have massive problems to remove it from the print head. There is massive pull required to remove the filament.

If I leave the filament in the hotend and start a new print there will be no material flow until I remove the filament, cut off the slightly thicker end (with a small rim at the end) and re-install the filament. After this procedure the print runs without problems.

This problem haven't occured within the first 6 months of printing. So I think something must be wrong inside of the hotend. There are no leaks or broken parts visible...

Any help is appreciated :)

Cheers,

Joerg

I guess this has to do with the teflon part. Yes, this also happens to the UMO… at the connection with the peek a little bit of material disappears. When you take the hot end apart the teflon has a brown brim.

Or there could be a little gap between the hot end parts bowden-teflon-peek-brass, not necessarily ending up with leeks.

Evidence can be seen when you pull the pla and see a thicker part at the end.

@Robert: Thanks for your answer, I will check it this weekend. Hopefully it's just a loose connection, but...

@Peggy: Thanks for the images. After seeing the second image I am almost sure that the Teflon is damaged. My last prints looked pretty similar to your "before" image ;)

btw: I am considering to ask a friend with a lathe to produce some of this parts. But unfortunately the measurements in the technical drawing of this part #1055A2P-B are not complete.

Does some have the complete measurements of this part?

There's a STEP file provided, import that into your CAD software of choice and you can get the measurements that way.