Why is ultimaker better than Shapercube 2.1 ?

ian

Posted · Why is ultimaker better than Shapercube 2.1 ?

Why is ultimaker better than Shapercube 2.1 ?

I have been asked this officially from one of my bosses.

before i try and form an official reply.

I would love to get a few pointers from you guys.

thanks.

Ian

I think the ultimaker is a bit smaller for the same build area.

UM comes with a 0.4mm nozzle, SC with a 0.5mm

UM is a lot lighter, so easier to move.

The SC Z axle is very different from the UM. It might be more stable, but it also looks easy to get into trouble with the belt drive.

By looking at the youtube movies I think the SC is printing quite slow, compared to my UM (which is printing only at 60mm/s, which isn't that fast for an UM)

Just compare:

thanks for the help.

the reason im asking about this maschine is becasuse my boss found it on the internet and it says these are being built in germany. my company is german.

also it is made out of metal and my boss told me, people are not so sure about putting a wood printer into the office.

believe it or not, the boss says, it doesnt look professional.

oh god help me.

if they buy a lumb of fire wood because it looks more... professional.... ill eat my hat.

Ian

daid.

how thick is the wood sheets ?

if i wanted to get a quote for acrylic .

thanks.

Ian

sorry spotted it.

6mm plywood.

thanks.

Ian

Looks like it doesn't use a Boden Tube but moves the whole extruder about. Which is much slower. Don't know about the quality of prints.

Hehe, looking at the print timelapse of the shapercube in action, it looks like my UM is only a bit slower (no timelapse) than the shapercube (with timelapse) :-)

My personal opinion is that the UM looks more refined than the SC, less cables&wires exposed&visible, and also more precise (SC has a recommended layer height of 0.3 to 0.6mm, while UMs generally print with 0.075 to 0.2mm (3x more Z resolution). SC XY speed is max 115mm/s, while I think the UM can reach 300 and more mm/sec.

basically, both machines will finish the same object within the same timeframe, the UM will produce a nicer surface and more detail.

the reason im asking about this maschine is becasuse my boss found it on the internet and it says these are being built in germany. my company is german.

also it is made out of metal and my boss told me, people are not so sure about putting a wood printer into the office.

HAHAHA... so funny. This was exactly what the guys from faculty said, when we proposed to buy an Ultimaker. "Wood. Yeah... nice toy."

Now, a couple of months later we as a community managed to go below every commercial FDM printer in terms of layer thickness. Everybody involved in the industry seeing the print results is just surprised by the surface quality. Yes, there are problems remaining, but they will get fixed over time. But the wooden case is not one of them.

On a personal note: I think every engineer should see that the UM is a quite superior and more finalized design compared with the Shaper Cube. Just because it's from Germany doesn't mean anything ;) Yet another point would be software choices: If you want to print high detail models you need proper software. Skeinforge won't satisfy your boss at all. Tell him "Netfabb" comes from Germany, and this is the software which is exclusively available for the UM and BfB in a specially adapted version at the moment.

Enough said... this is a really easy choice.

Florian

i have to point out that the shapercube is way louder when printing than a ultimaker.

its slower but after proper calibration and depending on your nozzle you can make very precise prints with it.

thanks for the help.

oh god help me.

if they buy a lumb of fire wood because it looks more... professional.... ill eat my hat.

Ian

I agree with your boss on how it looks. The Ultimaker looks like a hobbyist machine rather than a business machine. The Sumpod and Replicator 2 look so much better, it's not even funny.

i wonder would it be a benafit if ultimaker started selling there latest version of of ultimaker in lasor cut steel frame and finished alumium hot bed. I think that would give great stability to the design and also look damn sexy :-)

Ian

i wonder would it be a benafit if ultimaker started selling there latest version of of ultimaker in lasor cut steel frame and finished alumium hot bed. I think that would give great stability to the design and also look damn sexy :smile:

Ian

Would be extremely heavy. But stay tuned ;-)