Ultimaker+ vs Ultimaker 2

printerfan

Posted · Ultimaker+ vs Ultimaker 2

I am new to 3d printing and am ready to commit to buying a 3d printer. I am a student interested in designing prototypes including things with functional moving parts (i.e. gears). I am open to all suggestions, but I am currently stuck between deciding between an Ultimaker+ and an Ultimaker 2. I've found posts that discuss the changes between the Original Ultimaker and the Ulimaker 2, but it seems the Ultimaker+ has adopted many of the advancements/upgrades seen in the Ultimaker 2 albiet $1000 cheaper.

Can anyone explain the difference between the Ultimaker+ and the Ultimaker 2? Does the either model come in a DIY kit for cheaper?

UMO+ is kit only. UM2 is assembled only.

Some people think UM2 is more beautiful. Much more beautiful.

UMO seems to get features sooner than the UM2. For example you can get dual extrusion on UMO now, UM2 is "promised" 2015Q1.

UM2 has slightly larger build volume.

They both have excellent print quality. Now that UMO has heated, metal bed that is no longer the main difference. The only remaining difference is the homing. The homing for UM2 is better. It homes at the bottom with the bed all the way down. UMO homes all the way up which means any filament leaking out of the nozzle gets squished against the glass plate. It's really not a big deal. The lights on the UM2 are also nice - they light up the print area so well that people use it as a light box. I kind of mini photo studio.

So if you aren't afraid to assemble the thing and you are willing to spend 20 hours doing it and you don't need the "prettiest printer" possible that looks good in your immaculate fancy home. Then go for the UMO+.

The other advantage of the UMO is that nozzles are only $5 on ebay and you can get different nozzle hole diameters. Larger diameter for woodfill filament (it gets clogged easily in .4mm nozzle) and also for large prints you want to print fast.

Smaller diameter for very tiny, detailed work.

UM2 has the nozzle/heat chamber as one piece so you can't by third party replacements. Yet (I'm sure that will change).

edit: Forgot to mention that UM2 is quieter also.

This was a great reply, thanks gR5!

I agree the UM2 does look great, if I had the extra money I would get it. Given their functionality is very similar, I will probably go for the Ultimaker+ and upgrade to the next Ultimaker model (UM3) in a few years when its released.

Like GR5 I have both and love and hate for them for different reasons.

Yes as standard the UM2 has a better print quality and as GR5 said the homing is better, but the extruder is not the best.

UM1 cheaper and with upgrades added it is as good on print quality, you can also then print a wider range of materials easier (wood etc) and personally i prefer the info the ulticontroller gives me. Downside building it and you need to upgrade it to get the best out of it.

Just buy both its easier : )

What about differences in customer support? If I order an Ultimaker 2 in the USA and it ships to my home (also in USA), will I get a different customer service team than if I ordered the Ultimaker+ from the Netherlands?

Also when you guys say the Ultimaker 2 is less "hackable", does that have more to do with the new frame being so nice that you don't want to alter it as opposed to the Ultimaker+ wood frame or does the Ultimaker 2 have less modifiable parts? I understand the Ultimaker 2 extruder does not currently have any third party options, but the rest of the printer is still modifiable, correct?

Any machine can be modified. Some with less effort and some with a bit more. The UM2 certainly needs some effort for modifications. Many parts work cleverly together which means that simply replacing it isn't an option.

Take the electronics as an example. Although the UM2 electronics is newer and improved in many ways compared to the UMO electronics, it has everything integrated in one board including the stepper motor drivers. On the UMO you can simply exchange the stepper drivers.

So if you really want to do modifications on the printer, I recommend you to go for a UMO or a UMO+(btw: the UMO+ has the UM2 electronics). If dual extrusion is something you want to have immediately, then you have to go for a UMO together with the dual extrusion pack and the heated bed pack. Don't by an UMO+ in this case as it will not be able to drive two of the present UMO hotends due to limits of the power supply (which is a significant design flaw IMHO).

Woah - good points. Firstly I didn't realize you could buy the UMO without the "+" option but checking the website it is possible. That heated bed is extremely important more for stiffness than for the heat but heat is wonderful too.

The point about "not enough power" is a good point also. With the UMO and the heated bed upgrade you have to use both power supplies to run the second nozzle and heated bed at the same time. With UMO+ and second extruder - I'm not even 100% certain it will work but I don't know why it wouldn't. Power supply wise you would not be able to do dual extrusion *and* heated bed at the same time without going over the official limits of the power brick. Interesting point. So you might be able to still do dual but only if heated bed is off. Hmm.

If I read the hints about UM2 dual extrusion correctly, there might be a rather different print head for the UM2 with dual extrusion. This printhead might be used on an UMO+ as well and would allow for a dual extusion upgrade of the UMO+. But this is pure speculation and therefore a bit off-topic, sorry!

What is the benefit of dual extrusion? Also is there a site outside of this forum that sells used Ultimakers?

There are (or rather will be) two killer applications for dual extrusions: soluble support material and two-compount prints such as hard material combined with soft material (as you have it today with injection moulding). Of course you can also print with two colors.

Ebay? ;) But be careful if you find 'new' UM2s with a price significantly below the official price. A few months ago, 30 UM2s were stolen from an UM warehouse.

Dim3nsioneer thanks for info

but i try to buy in auction one of them and finaly all fauil and i wait my monety back.

I dont know about this before today

If I can help the investigation please pass this information to the police or Ultimaker / do not know where to send /. This information is for the seller to whom I sent the money.

MISS I A D SOARES

account no-10395667

sort code-111,460

IBAN-GB70 HLFX 1114 6010 3956 67

BIC-HLFXGB21K32

This is a bank account that I sent thieves.

I pay on this ebay:

https://www.zeta-uploader.com/bg/openfile?hash=153271167&rel=153271167.jpg

Follow Bai. In two weeks there in auctions of these machines. Placed them 10 at a time. and disappear.

Hopefully some of my money back I wrote already on Ebay.

Please give me information on whom to send the data to find the thieves.

I know you do not belong here. Send me where to submit this information to catch them.

@PeterV: Please send a private message to http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/user/423-sandervg/. He is the community manager at Ultimaker and collects information about the case comming from people here in the forum. Thanks.

Thanks i send email for Sander van Geelen

I hope to help because i still wait my money back from Ebay

Once again thanks for info