Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Titus

Model cut in halve + warping = help!

Dear Community,

It's been study time lately with less time to print, but I've got a ball coming up and I need some props. So I've been trying to print this awesome model in glowfill:

http://www.myminifactory.com/object/duke-mk-44-hand-cannon-from-destiny-2140

Barnecules did a video on it, check it out:

Anyway, I've printed the two handle parts on my UMO and when I tried fitting them together to see how it looks, I noticed both parts, having a large surface area, were a bit warped :( So it's not a 'tight' enough fit to actually glue.

I was wondering whether you guys had any experience with models cut in halve and glued together & warping issues.

P.S. on an unrelated side note, how can you seperate parts that are merged into 1 STL file?

Thanks!!

Or do you mean separate parts of an assembly? Cura has a split parts function.

I have to fit parts together often that require absolutely flat surfaces. Best thing to do is make sure they are stuck like crazy to the bed when printing.

maybe someone else has some insight to working with warped pieces.

Heat gun maybe?

Find the perfect temperature in the oven so that you can clamp the two pieces together, taking out the warp?

Belt sander?

Thanks for the video SolidPrint ;) i wasn't aware netfabb could cut STL files

I usually use MeshMixer to cut (there's a plane cut option).

For warping i guess you have to use a lot of brim to prevent this, i'm not sur it's possible to unwarp a print.

For PLA it's possible to change the object if you put it in hot water a couple of seconds (70°c - 80°c). You can then bend it a bit and when it cools it should stay in position. I'd say it depends on the object and of the amount of warpage

OMG, Solid Print 3D, thanks for the notice of split parts function! I've wondered many times what it does, and now I forgot about it. It works perfect :D

I'll try the hot bath and the strain relief cuts. Let me post some pictures this week. For the rest of the parts, you said a large brim, as in, a wide brim around the object?

The problem is this large part: http://www.myminifactory.com/uploads/object-images/6debd2cad0fa7550b90b8fdac79614bb3d4543fa.jpg

I had to scale everything down 0.9 to get the large part to fit diagonally in my machine, and disable skirt. So I fear there is not really a way to get a brim around that. Or perhaps I should cut that part up in 2 parts again?

I can see you problem; I do not think I would be very confident in printing a piece across the entire bed without using a brim - in fact I wouldn't :) A couple of points on warping. This will depend on the specific printer but if you test the bed in the middle and it says, say, 60 deg it is quite probable that outer areas of the bed are cooler. So it maybe that you would want to wait awhile until the entire bed (or at least the area you are using) has reached 60 before starting the print.

I have never tried nor seen a raft. But I wonder if you tried a raft this would help with your warping. The downside I guess would be a need to do some sanding afterwards to remove any remnants of the raft from the surface.

Not sure if you'd get a good result for two main reasons:

1. The area touching the build plate is very small, and at the slightest shock it will probably get detached.

2. The parts printed at 45° will probably tend to curl up and leave and ugly "bottom".

No who knows, sometimes i try things and i think it will fail but i've got to try it, and it turns out great, but sometimes it's a mess like i thought :mrgreen:

I tried to do some post processing on PLA with a heath gun but was not very successful. If the part is thin then it easily deforms and typically you will not get it back without squashing the layers. So if you have a gap fill it up and sand it. If you can paint the object then those imperfections can be eliminated. I would try to use a fair amount of brim lines to make sure it keeps to the build plate. Raft as you said would make it ugly.

Really old topic, but never showed the result :O

Boiling water+flat table+4 hours time => Flat enough surface to glue!

Submerge in boiling water until somewhat soft, then press on the flat table.

Results:

DSC_4256.thumb.jpg.6e01b54d625947c572f9c3cff57c17c6.jpg

And when the lights go out:

[media=12447][/media]

DSC_4256.thumb.jpg.6e01b54d625947c572f9c3cff57c17c6.jpg

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2