Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
protoverse

Small amount of filament stuck in the tube and unable to remove it .

Hi All ,

I have an ultimaker 2 and i'm facing a very peculiar problem .

I was in the middle of a long print when the pla filament snapped , which went unnoticed by me. Now the filament is stuck in the tube . Removing the material using the menu option simply doesn't work because it is beyond the reach of the material feeder/remover that is present behind the printer .

i also tried to add some more filament so that i can print out this little piece of filament , but that doesn't seem to work .

Can anyone help me out please ?

Hey guys ,

Thank you so much for the replies . The atomic method looks very interesting , but i'm a little afraid to plat around near the nozzle area .

So can i remove the Bowen tube from the back and pull out the PLA while selecting the 'material change' option .

And is it ok to pull out the bowen with very high force ? Because this seems to be stuck pretty snugly for me .

Thanx guys . .

No, do not use a lot of force to pull the bowden. It should come out with little resistance. Remove the blue (or red) horse shoe around the white collet that holds the bowden in place, then push the collet down as far as it will go, this will release the bowden tube, keep holding the collet down while pulling the tube out.

The collets have metal blades that grip the tube. If you force the tube out you will either break off some of the blades or scrape the bowden to a smaller diameter. Either of these are bad things to do. If you don't damage the blades you can just cut off the last 2mm of tubing and the next time the blades will grip a fresh spot on the tube. If you break a blade you need to get another collet.

I used the Atomic Method to remove the tube

Um. Just to correct a small matter of terminology, the "Atomic method" refers to a method of cleaning the nozzle by pushing a short length of filament in there, allowing it to melt and then cool, and then pulling it out - taking captured dirt out with it.

Removing the tube is just... removing the tube, though that is of course a necessary first step before you can use Atomic's method for cleaning the nozzle.