How long does your UM2 take to heat up?

dh000

Posted · How long does your UM2 take to heat up?

My Ultimaker 2 takes 10 minutes to heat up the extruder to 260C and the bed to 90C.

Is that normal? I hope not!

How longs does your machine take to heat up?

I haven't timed it... but I will. But it doesn't sound entirely unlikely to me. Most of the time is going to be heating the bed. You get diminishing returns on heating the bed, the hotter you go. The head probably only takes a couple of minutes, as it's tiny. The bed is much harder. I generally only print PLA, so I don't heat the bed hotter than about 60. That probably takes 4 or 5 mins I'd guess. So adding that extra 30 degrees to the bed, and heating the head... it feels about normal to me. But I'll do some tests.

The extruder is within 1-2 minutes at 260C. For the heatbed 10 minutes is a realistic figure.

To speed it up, as soon you start to prepare for new print (even before tidying up the glass etc) put the glass bed manually to the printing temperature. The nozzle 20 degrees below printing temperature. Then it starts fast.

These numbers come from UMO HBK but they should be identical to UM2 as it's the same power supply and same bed:

minute:sec temp

0 10C

2:16 50C (this is temp I usually print PLA)

3:25 60C

4:48 71C

6:03 80C

8:04 90C

10:43 100C

I usually print ABS at 110C. It's a long time to wait but it's worth it. If I did ABS every day I think I would consider adding more insulation somewhere - maybe bottom side of the heater.

By the way when the temp gets within 10C of the goal the PID controller kicks in and things start to slow down. So if I set the thermostat to 50C it takes longer than 2:16 to get there.

On 11/9/2014 at 7:31 PM, gr5 said:

By the way when the temp gets within 10C of the goal the PID controller kicks in and things start to slow down. So if I set the thermostat to 50C it takes longer than 2:16 to get there.

is there any way marlin to put a code that heatbed starts heating until 45 °c as soon as um2 starts working???...it saves times while preparing things... i generally heating it manually to 45...