how to convert cad files into stl

Posted · how to convert cad files into stl

hi,

i am trying to design an architectural structure in cad. it save the path in dwg

how can i convert it into stl file format. or should i just put in cura. i tried importing the file directly into cura but it doesn't read it.

If your DWG is just 2D lines, you can't make it to STL. 3D DWG also exists, but it might be that you can't convert it to STL either. STL is 3D format, which is made of "surface triangles". You need 3D CAD to make STL files. You can't make them with AutoCad 2D. Surface modeling software are also called CAD software. AutoCad is just one CAD software and in this case.

Actually, it's very possible to create an STL from almost anything - there's nothing in STL that enforces watertight models, it's just a list of unrelated 3D polygons - hence the market for STL repair tools. It's the model that has to be watertight, not the output format. And obviously, it's easier to create watertight models if the modelling software is designed to do that.

hi,

i successfully created an stl file in 3ds max but cura is not uploading that file.

"Uploading"? Do you mean that it won't load? Is there are error message?

Can you make the STL available for download from somewhere? Perhaps one of us could tell you what's wrong with it.

Hi,

if i have an stl file so is it possible to get that file back in cad ?

Thank You

Not in the sense you probably mean. Some 3D design software allows you to import STL, but it will usually be imported as a locked shape, not something you can do complex edits on - scaling is the most you could expect. Basically, the conversion from model to STL is one way.

not totally true .... spaceclaim can import and modify an STL.

I did say "usually" and "not ... complex". At best the object will lose all identity, it will just come back as a set of polygons. And, the shape can't have any attributes that STL doesn't know about. Depending on the precise format used there may also be precision problems introduced by using ASCII or single precision STL.

• Like 1

Hello,

When Autocad is used here, then it is a matter of the type of objects is used in Autocad. Autocad can modell with objects for solid modelling (see help file). And when they are used, it can export to stl nativly. I have played with that and had no problem to open the file in current cura.

Regards

Hans-Peter