careful when shipping :(

cleven

Posted · careful when shipping :(

I shipped my printer using Posten in Norway for my move to Houston. I guess it switched over to USPS who completely destroyed the package. I figured it would be easier... Luckily I packed it with the original packaging as it was shipped to me, if I had not I am sure I would have gotten a pile of parts.. America..... what happened to taking care of peoples stuff in the post?

Not only was the box nearly destroyed there was sustained damage to much of the printer. someone even used the box as a cutting surface when they were using a razor... WTF. There is a sticker on the box that says this way up, but when it was delivered they actually set it upside down at the door... I also had to reprint the feeder system as it was completely shattered, not it is in blue :)

Basically the frame is bent and there was damage almost everywhere, I was able to get it back as much as I could to work, but I am not sure of any other issues until I get tested properly :(

IMG_1076.JPG

IMG_1074.JPG

It is insured, but it is a pain in the ass to try and get anything. Trust me I have tried before. I submitted to the post where I shipped in norway. I should get an answer tomorrow. Eitherway I was able to get it going again... Just had to fix a lot of stuff, Bend a lot of metal...

Well as soon as you get anything over 10kg (20lbs) or any level that is uncomfortable for the post person they literally beat the shit out of your package :(. Had it happen before with motorcycle stuff. The woman threw it off the truck in front of me and was oblivious when I confronted her about it.

My god these guys really have no respect for the stuff they ship :eek:

You should see the other box that only had filament in it...

Went and filed a report. I had to fill out their paperwork that stated usps employees only on the top because the lady said she wasn't going to do it. Anyway, I filled it out listed all the damage they signed and stamped it. So see what happens. In the end I get f'd anyway. But if I get something at all it will be worth it.

My god these guys really have no respect for the stuff they ship :eek:

Wow, you really need to put some effort into damaging something that good. I would not take no for an answer - they will try, but that's not good enough in a case like this.

Well not much you can do really. Anyway I'm going to get new externals cut here out of alu plate and remake the machine. Hopefully this fixes fhe bent frame. It still works. But I cannot properly level the bed 100%.

Ouch. USPS usually does pretty well, but when they screw up, they do it well. Go to youtube and search on USPS delivery gone wrong. At least you don't have a dog who likes to eat Ultimaker boxes...

As far as I heard from our shipping department. All postal services in the US are rubbish like this. We used to have lots of problems with the UM2 shipping to the US. Pretty much the whole packaging needed redesign or else lots of our shipments got some kind of damage.

(This isn't the official view by Ultimaker, just hearsay)

Well not much you can do really. Anyway I'm going to get new externals cut here out of alu plate and remake the machine. Hopefully this fixes fhe bent frame. It still works. But I cannot properly level the bed 100%.

Maybe our US support and repair center can help you? support@fbrc8.com

They are rubbish daid! But not much choice as it transfers over to them much of the time :(. Had issues before when I shipped dhl to usa with some motorcycle parts. They again beat the crap out of it as soon as they get it :(. The one mistake with moving to the usa... I knew I should have brought it on the flight :(

Hopefully they can help but I basically need an entire new framework. All parts seem to function. it still prints but the bed is about .2mm out or more even if the 3 points are level :( it's ok if I print in the centre but to the right side it's not good :(

As far as I heard from our shipping department. All postal services in the US are rubbish like this. We used to have lots of problems with the UM2 shipping to the US. Pretty much the whole packaging needed redesign or else lots of our shipments got some kind of damage.

Update. I ended up getting 2500nok for the damage. So like $400.

Enough to buy and order new panels :-).

sorry for a bit of a plug, but my (unamed so as not to egt banned) packaging company i work for should have contacted ultimaker over a year ago about trying to win business and a redesign, probably our sales team being as super (un)efective as always!

However Cleven, it is good to hear you got enough to buy some new pannels, it is likely a shame in the inevitable delay before you can get going :(

Well I've had the printer for about a year. I just moved to America. I shipped it. They destroyed it. But at least the Norwegian post honoured their insurance :)

sorry for a bit of a plug, but my (unamed so as not to egt banned) packaging company i work for should have contacted ultimaker over a year ago about trying to win business and a redesign, probably our sales team being as super (un)efective as always!

However Cleven, it is good to hear you got enough to buy some new pannels, it is likely a shame in the inevitable delay before you can get going :(

Based on my experience from sending and receiving expensive stuff at work, I really would not dare to ship the Ultimaker 2 in it's original box.

Similar things that we send or receive at work are typically shipped in a double box with a complete layer of styrofoam between the boxes.

The cardboard of the outer box would be five or seven layers and the inner box would be five layers (not three layers as most cardboard boxes are).

And then most importantly, a box this size and weight MUST HAVE HANDLES!!

If not, like in the case of the UM2, there is a major risk that one of the delivery guys gets annoyed because it is difficult to lift and "accidentally" drops it... :-|

Of course, delivery companies should handle your box in a reasonable way, but I always try to do what I can to minimize the risk of "accidents" by shipping things in a "foolproof" package.

Based on my experience from sending and receiving expensive stuff at work, I really would not dare to ship the Ultimaker 2 in it's original box.

Similar things that we send or receive at work are typically shipped in a double box with a complete layer of styrofoam between the boxes.

The cardboard of the outer box would be five or seven layers and the inner box would be five layers (not three layers as most cardboard boxes are).

And then most importantly, a box this size and weight MUST HAVE HANDLES!!

If not, like in the case of the UM2, there is a major risk that one of the delivery guys gets annoyed because it is difficult to lift and "accidentally" drops it... :-|

Of course, delivery companies should handle your box in a reasonable way, but I always try to do what I can to minimize the risk of "accidents" by shipping things in a "foolproof" package.

you say handles, but the second someone sees a handle on the box, they grab hold of it, pull it across the bottom of the box, and the thing tears open, or ruins the tape on the bottom! then again i only ordered an ultimaker origonal Kit, so that box was tiny tiny. easiest thing to do is ship it in the origonal box, but put it in a slightly bigger box, but with foam or bubblewrap corners seperating the inside of the two boxes.