Printing a large box in ABS

axsdenied

Posted · Printing a large box in ABS

Hi

I am considering getting the UM2 but I need a bit of advice first as the object I want to print is not the easiest.

Is it possible and how difficult would it be to print a box/enclosure which is about the maximum size of the UM2 build volume, i.e. 220 x 220 x 120mm?

It has to be in ABS with about 5mm thick walls (can be thicker if needed). The lid will be about 8mm thick.

Has anybody done something similar? I am aware that I will need to build an enclosure for the UM2 first.

Future support for printing soluable supports would be of a great advantage (for a window in the box).

Any advice/hints is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

It should take a while, but it is possible. A pretty good alternative is to cut the box up in pieces and glue the pieces together (and smooth em with acetone afterwards). A university in the Netherlands used PLA pieces as a mold for fibreglass for a car.

Is it possible and how difficult would it be to print a box/enclosure which is about the maximum size of the UM2 build volume, i.e. 220 x 220 x 120mm?

My biggest ABS prints have been 205x205mm in size (X/Y) and I don't think it's possible to go much bigger than that due to need for raft.

Otherwise it's doable, it will take a lot of time though.

The reservation for a decent brim will limit the maximum size. Given the size of the object a good brim will be essential for printing with abs, otherwise platform adhesion will be a issue. This could be improved by using abs slurry but then removing the object will be a challenge.

Alternative could be colorfab XT which has less shrinkage.

hi i already print a 210 x 210 box in abs, without curling.

260 ° , no fan,

buildlate @ 90°

and the most important , i use 3dlac, i use it until the buildplate is flooded, it will create a sticky layer,

the box will bump from the buildplate only when it will be cold.

you will heard a big noise :).

i also keep my printer in a closed small piece to avoid thermal variation.

Thanks to everybody for replies. They were very helpful and I have decided to get UM2.

I can probably reduce the size of the box by 10-15mm.

korneel: The material does not have to be ABS but it has to be quite tough (impact resistant and rigid).

I will also order and try out Colorfab XT as Zoev89 suggested. The specifications seem to be quite good.

izo2: Did you print a brim around your box?

Again, thanks!!!