Ultimaker Enclosure with Filter

printerfan

Posted · Ultimaker Enclosure with Filter

I have been looking for a good design for enclosing my Ultimaker Original to increase the heat in the build area and also to vent out the fumes generated during prints. I have found one design for UM2 that uses plexiglass and a printable filter coupled with activated carbon.

UM2 Enclosure with Filter:

Front view

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-byUQnia8oew/VA4CKj_gC7I/AAAAAAAAEnc/VJVAUyCjlQ4/w411-h550-no/Ultimaker%2BEnclosure%2B-%2Bfront.png

Back view

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-9u4wcllyKKs/VA4CU2upmDI/AAAAAAAAEno/A3q5PCDIMwg/w411-h550-no/Ultimaker%2BEnclosure%2B-%2Bback.png

Associated Thread

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/7211-um2-enclosure-plan/

Can anyone link me a good design for air filtration and enclosure for the UMO?

Also, my hardware store was selling glass plates for much cheaper than acrylic, is glass a good option for enclosing the Ultimaker?

There are several project for UM2 enclosing chambers on the forum:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/5921-um2-greenhouse-edition

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/6612-another-green-house

I'm guessing you can take ideas from these mods for the UMO as the machine is basically similar.

Glass is probably good, i think acrylic can probably be easier to cut yourself if for some reason it doesn't fit your needs, its probably lighter too.

You want to print ABS with the UMO i guess?

Glass is perfect if you want to cut yourself ;)

(sorry for the pun Didier :p)

I would use acrylic, because the glass which is cheaper than acrylic is usually the very brittle stuff. You can't cut it yourself, except if you have special tools for that purpose.

Good window glass (maybe 4-5mm thick?), framed with aluminum extrusion profiles and sealed with silicone is of course better than an acrylic frame, but that's going to be very heavy and expensive. I'd stick to acrylic...

/edit:

You do need to be able to cut stuff like the opening for the fan / filter. You can't just use rectangular panels off-the-shelf, without cutting them to shape.

/edit2:

Just remembered, I bought a 0.9mm thick PET-sheet for a similar purpose. It's easy to cut, but very strong. It's also cheap.

You can buy it in DIY stores. It's most commonly used to temporarily cover broken windows or other makeshift coverings around the house.

/edit3:

Don't know if you can lasercut the PET sheet. But it's more suitable for hand-tools than acrylic.

Lasercutting could work (doesn't contain chlorine - shouldn't be a health issue), you have to ask in a FabLab (or wherever you'd lasercut stuff).

I have access to a shop that may be able to cut the glass for me, but I am not sure yet, I will have to call them.

I am wanting to print in ABS, but want to have an air tight design with a carbon filter to remove not just the bad smell, but eliminate the toxins as well.

What thickness should I get if I go with acrylic?

What is the difference between PET and Acrylic in terms of the temperature they can handle?

Acrylic:

It depends on your construction: If you have some sort of frame (for example aluminum extrusion profiles) that holds the panels, you can go with thin sheets, 2-3mm. If you need the sheets to be self-supporting, you should go for 5mm panels.

Glass: Depends a lot on the material - there's brittle glass and there's strong glass... Also, good glass panels have a coating to prevent them from shattering. If you use these, you can take thin sheets. But just regular mineral glass? I wouldn't use that at all...

Acrylic sheets should be able to handle temperatures around 100°C, while PET is more like around 70°C.

But your air temperature can't go over 50°C anyways or you'll risk damaging the electronics and motors of your printer. 50°C air temperature is already a very high temperature for these electronics to work in. Usually, it's more like "almost 40°C" in enclosed chambers. It doesn't take that much to make a difference..

I think I will be going with acrylic. I can purchase aluminum extrusion profiles, but I don't see how I could easily mount them to the UMO with acrylic plates because the UMO has wood pieces with screws protruding from the surface that prevent a flat even mount. Any suggestions?

I'm struggling with how to mount acrylic panels with all the screw heads and projections on the surface of the UMO... Anyone made an airtight enclosure for the UMO?

not airtight - I just put acrylic panels on the sides and leave the front and top open - generally stops draughts.

3 simple clips either side - they are really simple but I put them on youmagine.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/james-holmes-siedle

Hi all you cover makers and designers.

As I want to cover mine as well I sketched a cover too which should be straight forward to build as it is all rectangular plates and the guiding things can be printed.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/dust-and-climat-cover

maybe it helps some for others, having similar idea

kuno

I covered the printer this way

HeatedChamber

It is simple and made out of old acrylic plates.They are a bit thin but do the work. It keeps it warm or when I not use the printer for some time the dust out. Nothing air tight and when I print ABS it stinks.

Hi all you cover makers and designers.

As I want to cover mine as well I sketched a cover too which should be straight forward to build as it is all rectangular plates and the guiding things can be printed.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/dust-and-climat-cover

maybe it helps some for others, having similar idea

kuno

Do you have some pictures of that setup? I don't really get your idea :p

How did you cut the acrylic panels to shape?

Hi, yeah the sketches are missing some views as it is not CAD created, difficult to make them. I have updated the youmagine with some first images.

I got the acrylic glass pre-cut at coop, bought one panel of 5 mm acrylic and they cut it, had to alter some of the measurements due to the 5 mm but was easy.

I will update tomorrow, when I continue, hope not to forget images before I do the fininshing of the parts, so you get the idea.

kuno

Jonny, I added the images of the first trial of the cover on the printer, hope this supports your imagination for the "aha".

more images to follow when the finishing is done.

kuno