taulman nylon Bridge, 618 and 645 strength

lance-greene

Posted · taulman nylon Bridge, 618 and 645 strength

I think they are all about the same strength. The youngs modulus is posted for each. The larger the youngs modulus the stiffer the material.

The vertical axis below is the force applied to the material. The horizontal axis is how much the material flexes/bends/stretches (it's all the same thing actually!). In the linear region (elastic zone) the slope is the youngs modulus. Steel has an amazingly steep slope. Rubber the opposite. The ultimate breaking point for ABS, PLA, Nylon (Fu below) is about the same for these 3 materials.

However if you build say a hammer out of nylon you will have one hell of a time breaking it. Because it is flexible you can wack that hammer with all your might and not cause any damage whereas PLA will break. Just because a human can't break it by wacking it doesn't mean you can't break it by applying a slow strong force and like I said - it takes about the same amount of force to break PLA or Nylon.

So if you are building a bridge PLA is probably better because it won't flex so much and is just as strong. If you are building something that shouldn't be breakable by children then Nylon is better because it will bend enough so that it's very hard to break without really serious effort.

Again I think all the taulman's have a similar break point it's just the flexibility and printability that changes. Bridge is the least flexible[edit: wrong! see next post I was thinking about PA6 nylon] (but still too flexible for most of my applications such as a quadcopter) and easiest to print by far (it sticks better, doesn't absorb as much water, can be printed at cooler temps which helps with water issues and bonding issues).

youngs_%20modulus-01-01.png

edit: correction - reading the post linked to by didier (which I wrote) nylon is almost twice as strong as PLA's fracture point but really that's not a big difference. I wish I had measured the yield points of these materials (I want to some day) because beyond that point the material is permanently bent into a new position so you really don't want to go over that limit for most applications.

Crap - okay my memory sucks as I get old. Actually PA6 is stiffer than most of the taulmans. Here's a table I published somewhere else in the forums:

KPSI Material

1.5-14 Rubber (from wikipedia)

2.5 Ninjaflex (George tested)

22 Taulman 618

26 Taulman bridge

30 Taulman 645

53 Taulman Tritan

60 PA6 (George's estimate - pretty confident that it is higher than 645)

80 Taulman t-glase (PETT, not nylon)

120 ABS (my measurement - not reliable)

300 PLA (my measurement - not reliable)

300 ABS (from matbase.com)

311 ABS (data from here:http://atelje-3d-print.eu/Filaments)

480 PLA (data from here:http://atelje-3d-print.eu/Filaments)

>390 PLA (from wikipedia)

1600 Oak wood

29000 Steel

The young's modulus is usually in pascals or psi. The higher the number, the stiffer the material (but not necessarily stronger - usually but not always).

Does the spindle fit an Ultimaker2? Where can I buy it in Australia please?

The Taulman spools will not fit on the Ultimaker 2 filament holder, there are quite afew designs that can be printed to hold the spools.

You can buy it from http://www.3dprintergear.com.au/80-nylon .... I've bought from them and was happy with their service.

Thanks for the link. This company provides a checkout with items that remain the same price no matter the quantity. Each item says (tax incl.). Then it asks which shipping you would like and beside the price it says (tax incl.). Postage does not require tax. Then after these two prices it lists the tax amount (?!!!). The tax amount actually increases if you choose the higher postage rate option. This is very dodgy. Also, when you fill out your address details, it asks you for your address line one, address line two, postcode, country, home phone, mobile phone and then finally your state, in that order. First of all, who puts a phone number field before a state field? And secondly, why are both my home and mobile phone numbers required with a red asterisk? These options of filling out my address appeared only after I'd filled out a previous form that said 'error: you have not filled out all required fields'. Those fields were not there a moment ago. This website is dodgy as hell.

Thanks for the link. This company provides a checkout with items that remain the same price no matter the quantity. Each item says (tax incl.). Then it asks which shipping you would like and beside the price it says (tax incl.). Postage does not require tax. Then after these two prices it lists the tax amount (?!!!). The tax amount actually increases if you choose the higher postage rate option. This is very dodgy. Also, when you fill out your address details, it asks you for your address line one, address line two, postcode, country, home phone, mobile phone and then finally your state, in that order. First of all, who puts a phone number field before a state field? And secondly, why are both my home and mobile phone numbers required with a red asterisk? These options of filling out my address appeared only after I'd filled out a previous form that said 'error: you have not filled out all required fields'. Those fields were not there a moment ago. This website is dodgy as hell.

I honestly didn't notice, I probably should pay more attention.

I ordered my items at what I thought was a reasonable price, put my details in and received them with no hassles whatsoever.