Hot End Alternative

printerfan

Posted · Hot End Alternative

I have dual extrusion on my UMO, long story short one of my aluminum heating blocks stripped and I am in the market to purchase a new hot end.

The price is very reasonable, has anyone tried this hot end?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055359.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xultimaker+heated+block&_nkw=ultimaker+heated+block&_sacat=0

What about other alternatives such as the hot ends offered by E3D such as the Kracken or the Chimera?

http://e3d-online.com/Multi-Extrusion

I have an E3D v5 hotend, and after some tweaking, I am very satisfied with how it performs... I also have a v6 lying around that I want to switch to at some point (bought the v5 before the v6 was released)-

The Chimera sounds just right for what you want... Its also based on the v6 design, which is supposed to be even better than the v5....

There are some things to note though..:

- It dosn't come cheap

- Its designed for 1.75 mm. filament, so you probably have to modify your extruder(s)

- Since its very new, there arent many experiences with it out there, AND you probably have to design and print your own hotend mount (shouldn't be too hard)

You could also buy two v6 hotends, they won't take up more space than two std. Ultimaker hotends, but I guess its still a less elegant solution than the Chimera

I wouldn't know since I have no personal experience with it...

From what I've heard, some people are of the opinion that you may gain a greater flow control with 1.75mm. as well as less oozing (less molten plastic in the heated chamber above the nozzle).

Apart from that, I believe extruding 1.75 filament requires less force from your extruder, making eg. a direct drive extruder with a normal nema17 more feasible...

On the downside, I think 1.75 mm. filament tends to be more expensive (at least in some areas)...

I use both (in different printers, not the same printer). My 1.75mm printer is a direct drive. I'm not sure I really notice a benefit to one over the other than that when most filaments all have tolerances of +-0.05mm in diameter for the 2.85mm diameter filament this is only a volume difference of 7.02% while for the 1.75mm filament this is a volume difference of 11.43% so I do think my 1.75mm machine prints can have more variability, but it's not an UM either. :-)

There are more vendors carrying 1.75mm and 3.0mm filament that 2.85mm, but maybe that's not important. I don't like to cheap out on filament since I have some useless rolls laying around that were too big and I stick with suppliers I have good luck with.

What is a good printable ultimaker extruder for 1.75 mm filament?

The UM stock extruder works fine with 1.75mm filament, you just need to reprint part of the bowden clamp and swap the bowden tube. PM me if you want more details, I haven't posted anything about the mod anywhere...

The UM stock extruder works fine with 1.75mm filament, you just need to reprint part of the bowden clamp and swap the bowden tube. PM me if you want more details, I haven't posted anything about the mod anywhere...

Hey, how did you end up switching? What did you have to do? Any pictures?