Bad Prints

simchess

Hello,

Has any one experience lines on the prints as per the attached. I have printed some 800 + chess pieces plus a few smaller projects and now starting to get these lines.

nozzle is clean and the belts have been tensioned using a tensioner downloaded from you magine....

SimChess Pawn lines 02

SimChess Pawn lines

2014 12 04 16.48.36

SimChess Rook Lines

MArk

and looking at the 3th picture your metal rods look rather dirty, try to clean them and ad a drop of sewing machine.

and looking at the 3th picture your metal rods look rather dirty, try to clean them and ad a drop of sewing machine.

I seccond this...

The x and y rods should be well oiled and kept clean. The printer uses brass sleves not bearings on these rods with very little clearence. If you fail to keep them clean they can become sticky and in some cases freeze on the shaft. I use liquid bearings a synthetic oil that works great. I like that it doesn't become tacky and the bottle comes with needle tips for easy application. Your rods look like they have never been touched. That or you print in a really dusty environment, either way matinence is needed there.

I would also try printing slower as your machine has hundreds of hours of print time on it now. This takes a toll on belts and although you may not see the wear, it is there. Your belts have probably stretched a slight bit and even though you added a tensioner this does not do anything to compensate for the teeth wear. By slowing down the print speed you are taking stress off the belts. I'm sure you have watched your printer and how fast it changes direction while printing in fill for a tapered edge. The head will pulsate back and forth so fast the build plate will shake. That is hard on the belts over time and it takes very little play to cause visible layer alignment issues.

I would also try colder temp settings if you are printing PLA. I get my best results at about 35 mm/s 200/210 C .when printing at 200 microns using protoparadigm PLA. Some like to print hot and fast but for my UM2 cool n slow gives far better looking parts in my printing conditions.