Spiralize function in combination with solid surfaces

towel

Posted · Spiralize function in combination with solid surfaces

Hi everybody,

I have imported a model which consist of solid surfaces and sheet metal. Since I scaling this model I am unable to print the sheet metal parts since they are too thin. With spiralize I am able to print these however the solid footplate will be printed as a contour.

Is it possible to print solid surfaces and print contours of parts which are too thin at the same time? It would save me alot of time since I do not have to redesign the models in Solidworks...

Thanks in advance,

No, you can't mix "normal" printing and spiralize in the same print. It would defeat the purpose of it.

It might be possible to trick cura into printing your thin parts by saying you have a smaller nozzle though.

Nozzle size cant be set lower then 0.1 mm which is still too much for the sheet metal part.

Another approach would be a scale option/tool where you can set minimum thickness in the target model... Does this excist?

Nozzle size cant be set lower then 0.1 mm which is still too much for the sheet metal part.

Another approach would be a scale option/tool where you can set minimum thickness in the target model... Does this excist?

Are you sure...?!

The value will be red, but you can set it lower. [i think I did set it to 0.01 to follow the line...]

Other option i still want to try is to start the cura engine command line, then you can do more option [i think] like sprialize with solid top. You can see and hack the "slice engine log" for this...

cheers \ joris

If 0.1mm is too big to print your model then I think you're simply trying to print things that are too small for the printer to handle. What is the thickness of the sheet metal parts you're trying to print?

The value going red is just a warning. Cura will still do it's very best to work with whatever (weird) values you give it.

The value going red is just a warning. Cura will still do it's very best to work with whatever (weird) values you give it.

A "I have no clue what you're trying to do, but I'll do my best" type of warning. But, yes, Cura still tries.

If 0.1mm is too big to print your model then I think you're simply trying to print things that are too small for the printer to handle. What is the thickness of the sheet metal parts you're trying to print?

Yes I know I am printing object which the printer can't handle. Smallest thickness is original 1.5mm scale 1:30 gives 0.05. As mentioned I am trying to have Cura print this so I don't need to redesign the original model...

Setting up nozzle size 0.05 seems to work, i will test it and keep you informed.