Firmware update

frank-pitkat

Posted · Firmware update

Hi Frank,

Welcome to the forum ;)

When did you receive you UM2? Some firmware updates are very nice to have, some correct some bugs or little problems that don't show to everybody.

From what i know the latest firmware is good to update, it's version 14.12.1 if i recall well

Posted · Firmware update

In the ideal case the higher firmware will be better. But sometimes fixingin something messes up something else, so the latest version isn't always the best. You can see how old your firmware is by checking the version number, we use a pretty simple system of year.month.version (eg 14.12.1 means that we released 2 versions for this month already, the 14.12.0 and the 14.12.1) We start at .0, because we software engineers are silly like that.

Posted · Firmware update

when it works, don't fix it

Posted · Firmware update

This is also true. But the 14.12.1 firmware adds a few features and fixes you might like.

It also adds some extra safety which protects your printer a bit better against potential problems.

Note that Cura is always backwards compatible, so newer Cura's always work with older firmware versions.

Posted · Firmware update

When it works you must take it apart to find why it hasn't stopped!

Posted · Firmware update

Quick question - if I upgrade my firmware will I loose my custom material settings ?

Posted · Firmware update

Quick question - if I upgrade my firmware will I loose my custom material settings ?

Depends from which version you update. One of the first UM2 firmwares had a bug which saved the material profiles at the "wrong" spots, which caused strange problems when you made more then 4 profiles. If you updated from that, you would lose the profiles.

But that was quite a while ago, I think before the pause function was introduced.

Posted · Firmware update

Would advice to update anyhow as the new firmware lets you save your settings to SD, alter them on your PC and load them back, so you can now give logical names to your material profiles (PLA, FLEX, etc...)

Posted · Firmware update

Would advice to update anyhow as the new firmware lets you save your settings to SD, alter them on your PC and load them back, so you can now give logical names to your material profiles (PLA, FLEX, etc...)

Oh! Now that is a very nice feature. Thanks for letting me know :-)

Posted · Firmware update

Depends from which version you update. One of the first UM2 firmwares had a bug which saved the material profiles at the "wrong" spots, which caused strange problems when you made more then 4 profiles. If you updated from that, you would lose the profiles.

But that was quite a while ago, I think before the pause function was introduced.

I think my version may be 14.09.... ? I'll have to check... but I very much like the saving settings to SD card so I definitely will be upgrading

Posted · Firmware update

I went from 14.07 to 14.12.1 today. I didn't actually check if my profiles were still intact but unless the default bed temp has changed to 50C it looks like they are preserved (running a long print right now so I can't verify).

Posted · Firmware update

Going from 14.09 to 14.12.1 kept my profiles intact and I've just given them more meaningful names than Custom1,2 etc., . such a useful feature! :-D

Posted · Firmware update

It would be nice if you could save the profiles in Cura kind of like Simplified3D does it. Tried Simplified3D and had a lot of accuracy issues.

Posted · Firmware update

It would be nice if you could save the profiles in Cura kind of like Simplified3D does it. Tried Simplified3D and had a lot of accuracy issues.

And how does that work then in Simplified3D?

Posted · Firmware update

You can create a Process and call on it anytime you need it. Processes are the same as the settings within Cura but you don't have to load a profile from somewhere else on your computer. it's saved in Simplified3d.

It's a really neat feature.