Original UM + HB : "Error:Temperature heated bed switched off. MAXTEMP triggered !!"

dave-durant

Posted · Original UM + HB : "Error:Temperature heated bed switched off. MAXTEMP triggered !!"

I've got an old UM1 with 1.7.3 electronics. It came with an old Mega-128 clone but I've replaced that with a real Mega 256.

I installed the official heated bed upgrade but I get this when I try to connect to it:

Connecting...

start

Printer is now online.

echo: External Reset

Marlin1.0.0

echo: Last Updated: Aug 21 2014 16:05:23 | Author: (David Braam)

Compiled: Aug 21 2014

echo: Free Memory: 3977 PlannerBufferBytes: 1232

echo:Hardcoded Default Settings Loaded

echo:Steps per unit:

echo: M92 X78.74 Y78.74 Z200.00 E836.00

echo:Maximum feedrates (mm/s):

echo: M203 X500.00 Y500.00 Z30.00 E25.00

echo:Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):

echo: M201 X9000 Y9000 Z100 E10000

echo:Acceleration: S=acceleration, T=retract acceleration

echo: M204 S4000.00 T3000.00

echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s), Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s), E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)

echo: M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X20.00 Z0.40 E5.00

echo:Home offset (mm):

echo: M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00

echo:PID settings:

echo: M301 P22.20 I1.08 D114.00

Error:Temperature heated bed switched off. MAXTEMP triggered !!

Error:Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)

echo:SD init fail

I've figured out that if I disconnect the 2 small temperature sensor wires that go to the HB, the error goes away. My voltmeter, which I don't really know how to use, says 108 - 109 when I set it to ohms and put the probes to the unconnected temperature sensor terminals on the HB.

Any tips on what I can do to troubleshoot this more or is it toast?

Posted · Original UM + HB : "Error:Temperature heated bed switched off. MAXTEMP triggered !!"

Yup, via Cura 14.09.

It turns out that if you tell 14.09 to check for updates, it says you are running the latest version even though 14.12 is the latest version.

I downloaded 14.12 and installed the default FW again. Pretty much the same issue:

Connecting...

start

Printer is now online.

echo: External Reset

Marlin1.0.0

echo: Last Updated: Dec 15 2014 15:02:36 | Author: (David Braam)

Compiled: Dec 15 2014

echo: Free Memory: 3984 PlannerBufferBytes: 1232

echo:Hardcoded Default Settings Loaded

echo:Steps per unit:

echo: M92 X78.74 Y78.74 Z200.00 E836.00

echo:Maximum feedrates (mm/s):

echo: M203 X500.00 Y500.00 Z30.00 E25.00

echo:Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):

echo: M201 X9000 Y9000 Z100 E10000

echo:Acceleration: S=acceleration, T=retract acceleration

echo: M204 S4000.00 T3000.00

echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s), Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s), E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)

echo: M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X20.00 Z0.40 E5.00

echo:Home offset (mm):

echo: M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00

echo:PID settings:

echo: M301 P22.20 I1.08 D114.00

Error:Temperature heated bed switched off. MAXTEMP triggered !!

Error:Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)

echo:SD init fail

108-109 Ohms is the right resistance for room temperature.

There are three places on the heated bed that you can measure the resistance - they should all be the same:

Bed Resistance

Additionally, check the resistance at the other end of the heated bed cables - generally the best place to measure on those connectors is the little rectangular windows on the underside of the plug.

Make sure the heated bed temp sensor cable is fully seated and plugged into the correct socket on heated bed board.

Thanks for the reply.

I measured the spots you pointed out and at the HB board connector and they're all about 110 today. Pronterface says

SENDING:M105

ok T:30.3 /0.0 B:178.4 /0.0 T0:30.3 /0.0 @:0 B@:0

Putting my finger on the HB thermistor for a minute doesn't seem to do anything interesting to the reading.

I also checked the resistance between the connectors on the HB electronics & the main electronics and they're pretty close to 0.

Also, I said this was 1.7.3 electronics but that was a typo - I've got 1.5.3. Dunno if that matters.

I'm at a loss.. Anything else I can try?

1.5.3 works out of the box for the HBU, no problems here..

I only have the wire patch for the ulticontroller.

1.5.3 works out of the box for the HBU, no problems here..

I only have the wire patch for the ulticontroller.

Thanks, Peggy!

Hey Dave,

Did you ever get this solved? I'm having the same problem on my 1.5.7 electronics. The heated bed reads at about 106 ohms (it's chilly in montreal), and I've triple checked all other connections, but nothing seems to get rid of the MAXTEMP BED error on bootup.

I tried rolling back the firmware so I could at least run the printer normally again, however the new z-screw has a different thread gauge, so I'll need the HB firmware update in order to run. Any ideas?

thanks!

Hi Britton.

There was more debugging starting here that may or may not help. To me, it seems clear that I got a bogus HB electronics board but UM still has not replaced it. See the picture in that thread, of the electronics that were not soldered for why I think that.

The problem has been going on since before Christmas. I'm really not happy about the level of support I've gotten.

Okay, thanks for the quick reply!!

Hey, just FYI, I managed to get mine working...

...after checking your link, I tested the voltage across the temp signal lines going into the mainboard, and noticed the bed signal was putting out 5v when unplugged, which is WAY too much. So I plugged the HB daughterboard into temp2, and recompiled Marlin so that the bed would read the temp going into that pin instead.... seems to be working so far! At the very least, the error is gone, and the bed heats up.

Long story short, I think my arduino might be faulty...

Hope you have luck with yours.

Well, 3 months later, the new HB electronics showed up today and.. didn't fix the problem. :-(

I'm a nerd by trade but it's been years since I looked at printer firmware or really anything in the Arduino world.

Any chance you can post some easy instructions on how I can redo the firmware to use temp2 or post a binary image of the firmware?

Sure, it was actually pretty straightforward once I found the lines to change.

First off, I downloaded the ultimaker + heated bed arduino source from here: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Marlin/tree/Marlin_UM_HeatedBedUpgrade

Then I opened up pins.h and changed lines 1297-1304 to this

#define HEATER_BED_PIN 4
    #define TEMP_BED_PIN 9
    #define HEATER_0_PIN 2
    #define TEMP_0_PIN 8
    #define HEATER_1_PIN -1
    #define TEMP_1_PIN -1

....basically, disabling HEATER_1 and TEMP_1, and changing TEMP_BED_PIN from pin 10 to pin 9. HEATER and TEMP_0 should be left alone, as they're for your hot-end.

Then I saved out my new pins.h, opened up Marlin.ino in the Arduino IDE, and uploaded it to the Ultimaker's mega. For me it was that easy, and it's been working ever since. Hopefully it works for you too...

Thanks! All seemed to go well but the problem remains.. i also replaced the Mega with a new one but that didn't help anything.

Both temp2 and temp3 report MAXTEMP right away. I've replaced the HB electronics and the Mega. The UM electronics seem to work fine, except for this bed madness.

I've got a very early machine from batch 1.. I'm wondering if my electronics are the same rev as other peoples but aren't populated the same way. Is there any easy way to check this, short of asking Erik?

edit: going by http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/6/6c/UltimakerPCB1.5.3-prototype.JPG , I get 5.6v on EXP1 and EXP2, as well as on the 5V pin near the bottom/left of the picture just under the LEDs and top/left of the picture above the hot bed terminal. The 3.3v pin on the bottom/left next to the 5V pin measures 3.8V. This is all just under USB power.

Obviously, something's screwy with the power. I don't know how to take this and farther, though. :

edit 2: also tried USB off my monitor instead of my PC, just in case this was some weird over-powered USB problem. No change - still 5.6V.