I have a hard time believing that my glass is not level

thebagmaster

Posted · I have a hard time believing that my glass is not level

Greetings Everyone!

I recently purchased an Ultimaker Original+ and went through the bed leveling wizard.

I have done quite a bit of tweaking to try and get the first layer just right on some of my smaller prints.

I tried a large print and realized that the first layer varies quite a bit in the middle of the glass, odd.

Anyways, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

PS: PLA 195C 50C bed 100%flow 50mm/s speed 0.25mm Layer Height

20141220 182804

20141220 182802

bump up your base layer height - after that everything works fine and you will rarely notice the difference on the base layer.

I use my UMs in an environment which varies (because of heating) and sometimes I get this result, sometimes not, and it if often because the centre of the glass is warmer than the outside (a heating draft) - you are looking t artefacts less than .15mm which is quite small!

I find if I wash my glass in warm water it also changes height!

As long as that second layer goes down in a solid format everything is fine!

James

- Use a slightly larger nozzle distance during print-bed alignment.

- The speed for the first layer and good adhesion should be between 20 and 30mm/s, not faster.

- Use a significantly higher temperature only for the first layer. Bed: 60-75 degrees / nozzle: 205-220 degrees. For all other Layer then much lower temperatures can be used.

Markus

im with james HS

what he is saying about bumping the base layer height is to add a thicker "initial layer". I was driving myself INSANE trying to get an absolutely perfect micron-thin (okay, well, 100microns) coating over the perimeter of the buildplate but YOU DONT NEED TO DO IT.

Once you switch from 0.1mm to 0.3 you will find everything works SOO much easier. Youll also then realise, after all your hard work, that you are now actually a bit of a ninja with setting up the plate levelling and can pull off a 0.2mm layer. Im sure future UMs will have more tuning options but for now, don't drive yourself crazy; the 3D printing jedis on this forum (which sadly doesn't include me yet, im quite new) get amazing results from a .3 first layer.

Best of luck and have fun!!!!

ps- that is doubly true for printing ABS too, im finding at least.

Thanks everyone, was not too worried as Cerberus pointed out after a few layers this is all but gone.

I shall try your suggestions.