And so my waiting begins...

tom

Posted · And so my waiting begins...

My name is Tom, nice to meet you forum.

I've spent a lot of my free time the last couple of months researching 3d printing technologies and the various machines which use them. I had initially ruled out most of the hobbyist kits do to the quality of prints I was finding. Lucky for me I stumbled onto Dave Durant's blog and the Ultimaker. More research ensued.

Long story short, here I am four days after placing my order and it seems that glorious day 4-6 weeks from now is never going to get here.

SAME HERE!

I was initially looking at makerbot, UP printer, kickstarter printer....then I saw dave durant's post about Ultimaker's layer resolution (with all the amazing tips).... 0.02mm!!! Then i pulled the trigger.....

My wait starts now... sigh

Hopefully I'm coming up on the home stretch for mine! This coming Sunday will be 6 weeks from my payment clearing. So I'm hopeful my machine will be coming sometime next week. The wait sucks, but the forums and google group help. Good luck and I'll be sure to let everyone know how the build and first prints go!

Tom

0.02 mm ??

thats better than most lathes or mills can do

I ordered mine last weekend. I am planning to build some rc vehicles, starting with a T34 tank (specially printing the tank threads should be a blast) and a submarine to play with in the pool

0.02 mm ??

thats better than most lathes or mills can do

I ordered mine last weekend. I am planning to build some rc vehicles, starting with a T34 tank (specially printing the tank threads should be a blast) and a submarine to play with in the pool

Thats what i read here:

http://davedurant.wordpress.com/2011/10 ... of-prints/

Check out the yoda model... amazing finish!

it wasn't critism, more suprised that it can go as accurate as a lathe

In the Z direction that is. The X/Y direction stil lay down ~0.4mm width lines, so you can get some "rounded" corners, but this isn't visible at all with organic models like the Yoda.

In the Z direction that is. The X/Y direction stil lay down ~0.4mm width lines, so you can get some "rounded" corners, but this isn't visible at all with organic models like the Yoda.

Hi Daid,

is the X/Y 0.4mm limitation due to nozzle size? Or is it due to stepper motor precision?

Thanks!

My guess world be the nozzle. Even the worstvstepper can do better than 0.4

Ah you are right...

So basically because the "line of plastic" that is printed is 0.4mm (due to nozzle size), this means that sharp corners will never really be truly sharp, but would have a 0.4mm radius to them?

Ah you are right...

So basically because the "line of plastic" that is printed is 0.4mm (due to nozzle size), this means that sharp corners will never really be truly sharp, but would have a 0.4mm radius to them?

0.2mm Radius I think as the 0.4mm is the diameter.

Oops my mistake~ Yes 0.2mm radius i mean.. :p

Yes, it's the nozzle. Which is why I'm thinking about getting a smaller nozzle.

The X/Y steppers are very precise, 80 steps per mm. So it's any play in the mechanical parts that can cause problems there. But if you get your belt tension correct you get this as precise as you want.

Same here :)

I placed my order beginning of December and now I just can wait to get it.

Luckily there are so many topics I can study while waiting.

- the build instructions

- others users tips and tricks

- learn how to use OpenSCAD

time is running and I just can wait.

did you get your printer Tom ?

Ian :D