Faberdashery "spool" set up

Posted · Faberdashery "spool" set up

So im looking into finding ways of using faberdashery PLA, however, as always, becuse they dont print on spools, space is an issue.

G6GhkR.jpg

becuse my printer is up high, on its stand, and has its "soundproof" cover (which the fillament wuld be too big to fit in), i was thinking about having the heavy duty printed spool at the back, beneath where the 3d printer is (so move the trolley forward from the wall) but i am not sure how much that would effect the "spool" as the un-wound fillament would have to travel a very long distance from the the "spool" to the extrusion motor

I have seen this https://www.youmagine.com/designs/alternative-hub-for-loose-filament-spool , But am unsure how well taht would work at such a long distance.

It is a shame, as i am very keen on the Faberdashery fillament, I just don't get on with how well Colorfabb materials flows, but there lack of spools is frustrating.

So to boil it down, howw well will fillament handle if it is "stretched over a long distance" probably 600mm from the spool to the extrusion motor?

OK firstly I think I am right in saying that if you order 100mtr of filament from Faberdashery it will come on a spool.

I prefer "loose" to spool so I order <100mtr from them. The "loose " filament lays on the floor and travels more than 600mm to get to the printer.

i like your 'soundproof' cover, where did you get it?

I made it. I work at a packaging company, and he have a HUGE XY plotter table, and a large stock of Foam, so drew it up on sketchup, converted it at work, and spent an evening cutting it out. it only reduced the noise a bit, so may buy some sound absorbption foam and line the inside with it!

Yay, faberdashery spools! im amazed its taken them that long!

Hi!

This month all Faberdashery material will start to become available on spools!

www.faberdashery.co.uk/tagged/spool/

Enjoy :)

^A

think the price is a bit steep ...

100m = 840 gr = 24 pound, (750/840*24 = 21,4 pound per 750 grams, if sold loose per 100m)

on a spool, 750 gr (I hope ex. the spool...) = 30 pound.

so I pay 8,6 pound = 11,20 euro to buy on spool ....

anyhow, 30 pound = 39 euro, which is a lot for a spool of PLA, even though I do like some of the colors ... I'dd love to try the architects stone ...