UM original vs UM2

seekerfinder

Posted · UM original vs UM2

Hi guys,

I have been the happy owner of an Ultimaker orginal since 2012. It's almost time for an upgrade. I really want to make that it indeed is an upgrade though... So, I have been researching various printers. The current shortlist is Zortrax M200 and UM2.

I'm impressed with the Zortrax quality and their users seems to be very happy. Their single extruder support system seems to work very well - one of my main reasons for looking for an upgrade.

But... I am a big Ultimaker fan and cannot ignore the UM2 (despite my disapointment that they have not yet brought out a tested dual extruder for the UM2...).

If I go the UM2 route, I would like to make sure that the upgrade justifies the investment. I know that the whole is more that the sum of the parts as it were since there are many small improvements over the first UM, but I'd like some comments regarding quality specifically.

I already have the 2nd gen nozzle (I just was they now have a metal one for the Original + (which you can't buy as an upgrade??)) and extruder and the new heated print bed upgrade for the UM will probably aid me somewhat since printing ABS on the original UM is a pain. The layer resolution is the same. Where's the benefit in upgrading to 2?

Any thoughts?

Seeker

i would evaluate the zortrax again. you can only use their filament, only abs i think, and no temperature control. it is a closed system

Hi Fluxline,

Zortrax currently have 4 materials - https://zortrax.com/product-details/materials.

But, you are right. Being a 'closed system' is probably they key difference. I like the idea of being able to print with laywood, bronze, flexible materials etc. I think Zortrax is a great 'out of the box' sulution. With busy lives and tight deadlines that is probably a good solution 90% of the time. Then again, sometimes I like to tinker and then it would be sad to lose the open nature of the Ultimaker. I also don't want to miss out on some of the awesome new materials that are increasingly starting to emerge.

Back to the original question, is there any real benefit in upgrading to the UM2 over the Original? I'd love to hear from guys who had the Original and upgraded to the UM2 - what's the biggest benefit?

Cheers,

Seeker

I didn't comment because I don't have a Zortrax. But I have UMO and UM2 and I love them both. But 90% of the time if I only am going to use one printer I use the UM2. I don't know why exactly. It's just my "go to" printer.

The UMO works great. I have the heated bed upgrade. It works so much better now with the heated bed. Also it's easier to change nozzles on the UMO.

I've just had very good luck with my UM2. I got an early unit (november 2013) and it works great. No problems with retraction or underextrusion even though I know other's have had problems.

Only had UM2. Not too sure about UMO (but that was the reason I decided to go with a UM in the first place) but UM2 is really good!

I bought a UM2 and ended up being so impressed with it that I bought another. Personally I wouldn't buy the Zortrax, I did look at it but didn't particularly warm to the attitude exhibited by some from the company to their users on the (old) forums.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending the UM2 to you, it's a wonderful printer, it produces superb prints relatively easily, it's open source and the knowledgable support you can tap into here is worth one hell of a lot. :-)