Newbee- UM2 first run - first problems

3dnerd

Posted · Newbee- UM2 first run - first problems

Dear all,

finally I got my UM2 now and did my first run with it.

Since I am brandnew to UM2 I currently don't know what is 'normal' and what is a problem because I have no experiences yet.

The UM2 asked me to insert filemt into the extruder, this worked.

Then I hit the wheel to confirm 'Ready' and the filament gets pulled through the bowden tube up to the nozzle. The display says 'Wait until material comes out of the nozzle'. But for some reason no material comes out of the nozzle.

Instead I hear a noise like a fast tock, tock, tock, tock, tock.

I found out that it comes from the extruder, further I can see that the knurled wheel which shoud transport the filament just move forward and the slips back again. This causes the tock, tock, tock noise.

Unfortunately no material comes out the nozzle :sad:.

Does the stepper motor get damaged by this behaviour / noise?

How to get rid of that noise and get the filament transported properly?

Thanks for any help!

Mine did the same when the UM2 was brand new. I'd guess that the filament got hung up on its way into the hotend. It helps to cut a point on the filament rather than a flat end, the point will help the filament find its way. I also give it a bit of a helping push through the feeder!

The "tock tock tock" is the feeder stepper motor failing to push the filament through an obstacle. There may also have been grinding, i.e. a divot ground out of the filament which you'll have to cut away.

What Don said. And if you watch it when it feeds into the extrduder, you can see it pass through the part of bowden tube above the white teflon coupler that has the spring around it. If you see the material pass that part, then it should feed correctly into the hotend. Cutting the point definitely helps.

Yes it's probably what they said.

Try getting the filament out and cut it with an angle.

The do the insert material again.

The clicking sound you hear is the motor skipping back this is an intended behaviour when something is blocking the filament from extruding. No damage is done to the motor

Hi,

thanks everyone, I will try that.

If the filament passes through the white thing in the hotend but still will not extrude any material, it can be that old filament in the nozzle is blocking it. Try manually helping the motor by pushing the filament into the feeder with your hand.

Hi IRobertI,

OK I will try that, thanks for the tip!