Problem with voronoi heart

3dnerd

Posted · Problem with voronoi heart

Dear all,

I tried to make my 1st print with the UM2 but wonder what came out.

I printed the voronoi heart that comes on the SD card (innoFil3D, white PLA), here is a photo:

h7JFXLK.jpg

UM2 says 'Print finished', but as you can see the upper surface is wierd, lots of strings pointing upwards. Also a littlebit of underextrusion in the upper layers.

If I take a closer look I can also see that the perimeter does not touch the infill and vice versa on many places. What happened here?

Since I am brandnew to UM2 I don't know how to fix these problems and need your help.

Thanks!

PS: is it possible to attach images directly here in the forum? I did not find any 'attach image' link, so I used imgur

What was the layer thickness and print speed used? And I assume it was PLA at the standard temperature.

Yes, you can upload images to the gallery and then attach them to a post... but it's the most horrible badly designed system I've ever used. Imgur is probably a better way to go.

I would guess that because of all those thinnish walls that retraction was an issue. Others may be suggestions on how to tweak that - it normally isn't a problem for my prints.

Hi DonMilne,

thanks for reply, yes it was standard PLA temperature.

Beside of that wierd strings what can I do that the infill and perimeter melt better together?

From my humble opinion it comes a littlebit too few filament out of the nozzle so the perimeter and infill do not properly glue together.

Should I increase nozzle temperature or material flow to get better results? How so I increase temperature and material flow? Inside Cura or on the UM2 directly after inserting the SD card?

When troubleshooting any issue, it's good to know your layer height, shell thickness, bottom/top thickness, print speed, infil % and the temperature you're printing at. Unless you've changed the material flow rates previously, the defaults should be fine. Give us the above information and we'll go from there.

Well it should work from that file, but we can check the settings to make sure nothing got screwed up. Open Cura, choose File>Load profile from gcode and select the file on the sd card, and it will load the settings. You can always reset the profile back to the default afterwards.

It would be good to know what temperature it printed at, likely 210 as that is the default setting when you load in PLA. Did you use the default PLA choice when you first loaded your PLA material?

It's underextrusion. You can see that it starts a few layers below the "total mess" (you see the holes in the surface), and then becomes very serious, so the upper part of the model basically failed to print except a little irregular plastic.

Why this happened remains to be investigated.

May I suggest you download a very easy model such as:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:146265

slice it in cura and have a go with the medium quality settings, to see how things go, with some more control over the settings.

Dear all,

I tried to make my 1st print with the UM2 but wonder what came out.

I printed the voronoi heart that comes on the SD card (innoFil3D, white PLA), here is a photo:

h7JFXLK.jpg

UM2 says 'Print finished', but as you can see the upper surface is wierd, lots of strings pointing upwards. Also a littlebit of underextrusion in the upper layers.

If I take a closer look I can also see that the perimeter does not touch the infill and vice versa on many places. What happened here?

Since I am brandnew to UM2 I don't know how to fix these problems and need your help.

Thanks!

PS: is it possible to attach images directly here in the forum? I did not find any 'attach image' link, so I used imgur