Netfabb area over filling problem.

benoit

Posted · Netfabb area over filling problem.

Hi All,

I can't seem to be able to get decent filling with Netfabb, it seems to consistently overfill top and bottom layers.

If I wait it out, the nozzle smooths the "junk" after a few layers, but there must be a way to prevent this from happening.

Please advise.

Thanks

Note: print quality with RepG is flawless.

I'm using 1a : Standard Quality Filled Object with corresponding 1: PLA Standard material and a 2.5 mm Fill Spacing.

However the problem is in the upskin and downskin layers of the print, before the Fill Spacing setting kicks in.

I was able to fix the problem by switching to the hatching pattern fill pattern (from a spiral pattern), which effectively reduces the number of passthrough on a single point and consequently reduces the build ups and prevents the formation of "mounds" at the corners.

I can finally print with Netfabb!

Thanks guys.

Hi Benoit,

I use Netfabb, but I've never bothered with Standard Quality. I've never been able to get half-way decent prints on anything other than Ultra - but with Ultra the prints are utterly amazing. I've increased the speed on my Ultra profile so I can get beautiful prints in the same time as the regular standard profile that still look amazing. I've even managed to tune those up to 200% using real-time tuning in Replicator-G and still achieve a nice result.

Cheers,

Troy.

Troy,

Thanks for the advise.

Yes the Netfabb standrard quality is much lower than what RepG outputs, however the toolpath algorithm makes it much nicer and easier to post process.

Once i'm comfortable and confident with Netfabb, I'll move up to Fine and Ultra (i'd like to have a good comparison between them all)

Have you (or anyone) been able to thin down the layer thickness from 80 microns to 20 microns (like in RepG's Very Fine setting offers) ?

benoit

Have you calibrated at all? Or, if using the latest version, switched to volumetric and put in the correct diameter for your filament?

Yes it is calibrated, but i'm using 4.9.0 (on MacOS)

I played with the "Width Factor" parameter on the "Build Style->Region Definition" section and was able to fix most of the problems, and I'm now pretty satisfied with the "standard quality" setting.

I still need to work on improving the upskin finish but so far so good.

Here are some photos.

Thanks for the help!

Update: problem solved, all Netfabb built-in profiles work flawlessly.

My problems:

1. Using MacOS Netfabb 4.9, I switched to Windows using Netfabb 4.9.2 (volumetric).

2. Using USB to drive the print (the animations and information updates caused the hot end to pause and ooze for seconds at a time while it sent the data to the computer), I switched to SD cards from the Ultipanel

3. Operating the Ultimaker in a non air-conditioned room (here room temperature is 27-32 C), I placed it in the direct path of the air-con outlet which makes the PLA filament harder and less prone to deform in the feeder mechanism during during Fine/Snake areas where the rate is low; it also makes the print cool down faster so there previously printed material cannot be displaced.

Here is a sample of the "standard quality" profile (with hatching instead of spiral filling)