Z-axis motor making slipping noise, unable to level build plate

mkeenan17

Posted · Z-axis motor making slipping noise, unable to level build plate

Hi guys,

I just assembled my new um2. I attempted to re-level the bp to get a closer/more level build plate and ran into this motor slipping noise from the Y-axis. I'm facing the same issue when I make the manual adjustments using the dial. Please share your trouble shooting thoughts.

Sincerely,

Matt, helpless noob

1) UM2 should come assembled. Do you mean you have the UMO+?

2) Can you maybe post a video (with sound)? I don't know what noise you are talking about. If Y axis is slipping it will typically shift between layers. Are you sure it isn't the feeder that's slipping? UM doesn't host video so you have to post it on vimeo, youtube, or similar and then link to it.

Also try pushing the head around with power off. See if X and Y axes are obviously different.

Also if you already leveled it once and you want to make the bed closer I recommend simply turning all 3 screws 1/4 turn and not running the procedure. The procedure gets you close but to get it better it's best to just turn the screws and print a skirt or brim.

With the power off try moving the bed manually by grabbing it towards the back of the machine (so as to not bend the build platform). Move it slowly up and down and feel if there is a jump in resistance around that height. Inspect the screw and rods, do they look ok? It could be that the linear bearings aren't properly aligned. I had a printer where the bed was binding slightly because of that (not as bad as this though).

Re-aligning the bearings isn't hard but it can be annoying and it'll take you a while. It involves removing the two screws that hold the white cover in place, lifting that out of the way, loosening the four screws on each bearing so that they can move around (IIRC you have to remove one or both of the covers that hide the motors as well in order to reach), then move the bed manually up and down a few times, tighten a couple of screws, move the bed up and down, tighten a couple more etc until they're all tight.

Try removing the spool holder. I think the bed is catching on it.

You're both right! The vertical bearings and the Z-axis screw were misaligned, and the plastic flange of filament spool holder was obstructing the motion of the bed. Unfortunately, my unit was shipped without empty lemonade cartons, but luckily for me, I hadn't removed my recyclables in days (another vote for procrastination).

lemonade.jpg

First 'successful' test prints!

Hal-VE.jpeg

[left to right] Hal V, Air Chief Marshal Hugh Dowding

Yikes - I hope you can get better quality than that.

I don't use the filament holder. I put the spool on the floor sideways and let it uncoil - I usually put it on a spring thing (lazy susan) and give it a kick every half hour.

Or sometimes I mount the spool like this:

Red spool