Glue stick

arhifane

Any gluestick works, some people swear by certain brands. (apparently the purple one is good). or regular staples ones.

I would avoid cheap chinese or dollar store ones though, they are usually very goopy.

If you're printing PLA you don't even need glue. I've bearly used the one mine came with.

I use;

- PLA/XT; no glue

- Bronzefill; the UM glue stick

- Flexible PLA; CubeStick

Hey, just a friendly heads up.

I've tried multiple sticks and I find the expencive branded ones (like pritt,...) are more syrupy and leave an thicker, uneven layer on the buildplate -> bad adhesion. Most cheaper or generic brands don't do this, since they are denser.

Best sticks I've encountered so far are the default staples one, and the cheapest one you can find in the "wibra" (Dutch & Begians will know.... ). The wibra ones come at 0.69 per 2 (ean number 2010401099006 , red/ white packaging with a squiggly line on it)

Posted · Glue stick

I used to print PLA without glue but I have started to use it recently for sharp cornered bottom layers. (I usually print gears where the teething start from the first layer) Without the glue, when laying down the first layer, it seems like the sharp corners of the teeth sometimes curl/or are being pulled up by the nozzle when it passes. Happens only in the first crucial layer. I've always thought that the first layer filament strings does not grip well on the clean glass. Glued surface feel more rough once dried and my corners don't curl up.

(note I'm talking only about the initial layer only... not to be confused by other types of corners pulling up)

Posted · Glue stick

I've been on my own quest to find the best bed adhesive. I've tried many different materials, tapes, print stickers, hair sprays, 4mm pei sheet, abs slurries, and glue sticks.

I've experienced all sorts of adhesions from next to nothing all the way to welded to the glass bed. I've now settled on two techniques.

My original glass print bed has two sides.

One side is sandblasted lightly the other in untouched.

I use the sandblasted side for pla unless I'm planing a very large long print that I can't risk loosing adhesion. (after 30+ hours and a kilo of filament you really don't want to fail at the last 30min)

For everything else (ABS, HIPS, Nylons etc) I use UTU glue stick.

http://www.uhu.com/en/products/paper-glues.html

This gives very good adhesion and reasonable release. This is the best glue stick around better than the Elmers purple stick. Between each print I spray IPA onto the glued bed and smear the remaining glue around. You can use water but the IPA works better, don't know why.

I have on rare occasions used print stickers if I have very little touching the bed as the adhesion is very strong. That are a one time use in my experience though.