New Ultimaker 2 shuts down during print

Posted · New Ultimaker 2 shuts down during print

My Ultimaker 2 is a couple weeks old. I have printed about 3/4's of the spool it came with. In my last three attempts to print, the Ultimaker shuts itself off for 1 second then comes right back on. The print job is killed as it just sits at the "Print, Material, Maintenance" screen. Prior to these last 3 print attempts, I had successfully printed maybe a dozen things, some lasting 10-12 hours. It seems to shut off at random times. Once I was 4 hours into a print job. This last one I was about 40 minutes into it.

I unplugged and plugged back in and checked the power connections. Everything seems fine. The Ultimaker is plugged into an APC surge protector with other devices plugged into it too. The other devices don't have any trouble.

Did I get a lemon?

You should contact support (fbrc8.com does support for USA customers with UM2s). They are very good.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean so maybe a video would help. Could it be:

1) gcode file is empty or corrupt? Maybe slice another one? Try printing something that used to work.

2) Could it be the power brick? Some of those are flakey.

3) Could it be K1? When that gets stuck the controller works fine but the motors have no power and the nozzle/bed heat don't work. That would be at the "tune cancel" screen though - not the "print material maintenance" screen.

It may have had something to do with the USB cable connection. I couldn't print using USB and

Simplify3D. I also noticed that my USB keyboard was not working anymore. Odd?? I rebooted my PC, power cycled the UM2 and disconnected the USB cable from the UM2.

I have a print going now, sliced with Cura and printing from SD card. It's been going for a couple of hours now. I hope it makes it all the way through.

USB printing isn't officially supported so that's more than likely your problem. I'm guessing you hear a *clunk* as the lights go out and it restarts? If it does, that's the sound of the control board resetting.

Yes that is a good description of what happens. It must be the control board resetting as you suggest. There was a time when it reset during an SD card print, but the USB connection must have been horked somehow already and must have caused the problem. I am leaving the USB cable disconnected for now.

I've noticed a few things that cause this for me.

1. When printing from SD card with USB connected to my linux machine, if I reboot and start linux again, the printer resets when the kernel starts loading modules. I haven't tried this with windows but I imagine it too could have this affect. Same thing happens if I try to connect to the printer with ponterface during a print.

2. Turning on a CFL desk lamp that is plugged into the same power strip/surge protector triggers the printer to reset.

I think I'm seeing the same thing. I came in this morning from a 12 hour print, and the power was disconnected. I looked at the plug in the back, and it's really flakey. I think I might hot-glue the plug into the back. If I wiggle the plug, power cuts on and off. Is this what your are seeing?