Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
edit-mesh

spiralize to the top?

i know the spiralize function in cura only supports objects with no tops.

well, i don't really have a top on my objects and i would like to use the spiralize function, because it gives me a nice continuous single walled print on the transparent object.

is there any chance to force cura to do more layers on the top, to close the hole?

"solid infill top" and "bottom/top thickness" has no influence.

my object has no bottom, does that makes a difference?

spiralize

0.1 layer height and 0.4 wall thickness

There's not much you can do. If you set infill to 0 and top/bottom thickness to 0 and shell to .4mm and skip spiralize you will get almost what you get now - a .4mm shell with no top or bottom.

But if you set top thickness to even just .1mm you will get "shelves on many of the sloped layers (top 2/3 of your part) to support the layer above - this will show through to the outside and change the look. Really the only thing you can do is a gradual curve to close the top very very gradually combined possibly with thinner layers so the steps aren't too obvious at the top.

thanks gr5, do you mean with "gradual curve" to change the geometry?

if i understood you right, its a contruction issue, that can't be handeled in a differen't way with a different slicer?

so if i don't want to change the geometry, i can only skip spiralized and find the best layer/top thickness relation, to get a more or less regular transparent surface? hm...thats tricky...

Slic3r seems like a good candidate for what you're trying to do. You can uncheck "Extra perimeters if needed" so it won't print the "shelves" to help support the upper layers that gr5 mentioned.

Here's the start and end g-code that I've been using for slic3r, which seems to work OK:

Start:

G21 ;Metric Values

G90 ;Absolute Positioning

M82 ;Extruder to Absolute

M106 S0 ;Fans Off

G28 ;Home All Axes

G1 X5 Y10 F9000 ;Move Head to ~Origin

G1 Z20 F9000 ;Raise Bed to Head

M140 S<BED> ;Set Bed Temp

M190 S<BED> ;Wait For Bed to Reach Temp

M109 T0 S<TEMP> ;Set & Wait Head Temp

T0 ;Select Extruder 1

G92 E0 ;Zero Extrude L

End:

T0 ;Select Extruder 1

M104 S0 ;Head Temp Off

M140 S0 ;Bed Temp Off

G91 ;Relative Position

G1 E-1 F300 ;Retract 1mm

G1 Z+0.5 X-20 Y-20 F9000 ;Drop, Move Head

G90 ;Absolute Position

The initial priming that Cura does seems to cause problems with slic3r, so I removed it. Instead, I make sure I print a skirt of 3-4 loops. Also, for some reason, I have to manually set the temperature of the hot end and bed on the U2 front panel before it will start printing.

hey, thx for the replies :)! so its not hopeless yet...

i will try the "swap at Z plugin" from PM Dude and also slicer and report back.

i just need some time to get in touch with gcode (although i am printing multiply objects with small difference in height) :wink: , but this is a good way to start and learn some gcoding !

THX!!!