Help! Print issues on vertical portion?

mikebaier

Posted · Help! Print issues on vertical portion?

I'm trying to figure out why on the vertical portion of this print I am getting a portion of the edge that is not smooth. I do not believe it's the STL because when I rotate the object and then print it in a different direction the issue changes sides.

Picture_8.jpg

Picture_9.jpg

Picture_10.jpg

Picture_11.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions the help is greatly appreciated.

When printing tall thin objects, I noticed that the part tends to wobble/move to one side during printing, due to shrinkage of the printed layer,

you could try adding a support rib from the top of the print to the platform, that can be cut away later.

Rib%20example%201.jpg

Thanks for the help guy's I really do appreciate it....

Please find the new images below... I apologize for the terrible images above.

Printing Colorfaab PLA/PHA @ 210 C , 35 % infill, 50mm/s printing speed

Printed with support touching buildplate at 10% grid for underneath main switch plate.

20150305_202218_resized.jpg

20150305_202230_resized.jpg

20150305_202242_resized.jpg

20150305_202256_resized.jpg

Are your side fans both working?

I would sit by the machine and watch it printing. No need to print the whole thing, just the bit that sticks up, with some support at the base. That will give you a big clue as to what is going on.

It does not look like its wobbling, since the horrible gloop is only on the corners, and below the bend the outer corners are glooped, and above the bend the inner corners are glooped, but on the bend itself everything is relatively OK. But the layers appear to curl up, and increasingly as the height goes up.

How thick are the walls?

The layers curling can be easily explained as lack of support, so that part wobbles more and more as the height increases. You can make your own break-away supports very easily, which will keep that part rigid during print and not use too much filament. I made the ones below for a really tricky model (arm sticking out on one side, other stuff as well) and embedded the tips around 0.15mm into the model. They snapped off very easily and worked a charm - I printed 12 copies of the same model and it worked every time. Of course it did leave a small mark at every snap off point.

supports

The horrible gloop could be the fans running too low or off, but it seems a bit weird you are getting that only on the corners of one side which then flips over as the bend is crossed.

Oh yeah that`s an ugly print! Have you tried this more than once and get the same issues? It looks as though you are getting some lifting early on at the bottom corners which then starts getting progressively worse. Once a corner starts to lift its hard to get rid of it, because the nozzle starts to push and pull the model at the same corner every time.

Try levelling your bed as accuratly as you can before printing again, and I would also look at printing at 35-40mms with a temp of 200.

Is the model yours? I would also try chamfering those edges instead of rounds.

Let us know how you get on! If you upload the model I dont mind having a go for you to see if my print replicates yours.

Yes both side fans are running at 100% after the first couple layers, and verified working.

I've re-leveled the bed a few times and attempted additional repeats of the print with the same results.

I will try printing at the 200 C and slowing the speed down next. I was hoping to get away with the 50mms print speed as everything else prints nicely with this model.

Yes the model is mine, I will try chamfering to see if it makes a difference.

Wall thickness is .8mm do you think increasing the wall thickness would help with the problem areas? If so what thickness would you suggest attempting?

Thanks for the input guy's this is driving me nuts!

Staring at the pictures again and again, still a mystery to me what happens at these edges...

Which Cura version do you use?

Have you tried slicing with an older/newer version?

When you look at the layer view, are there strange movements of the head (blue lines)?

And in the real world, what does the printhead do at these places?

Could you upload a video?

When printing tall thin objects, I noticed that the part tends to wobble/move to one side during printing, due to shrinkage of the printed layer,

you could try adding a support rib from the top of the print to the platform, that can be cut away later.

I agree.

Whenever I see a part like this, I add a .42mm ribbed wall. doesn't have to be dead center, but creating that "T" gives it much more stability.

Currently using cura version 15.01

Have not tried slicing with any other version... ran the stl through netfab.

I may try upgrading the latest version of cura.

I also cut the stl so I can print just part of the plate and the vertical "tower" for testing.

would changing the shell thickness possibly fix this?

If i look at layer view there doesnt seem to be anything strange at those layers with the movements of the head.

Will work on getting a video posted during the print of those troublesome spots.

Remember that as the extruder extrudes filament, the filament is being bonded to the layer underneath. With this comes a bond between print head and part. When the part gets to be so tall, the bond the print head is creating starts to move the tall structure in the XY plane. When you add something like a "T" support, the support prevents the print head from moving the tall structure as much. Anytime your print starts moving, even if it's very very little, you lose a lot of print quality. That tall pat will never be in the correct spot for the next layer.