Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
3dnerd

Switch off UM2 after printing?

Hi,

since I often do overnight prints with my UM2 I wonder if it is possible to shut down the UM2 after the print has finished.

At least I need to turn off the fans especially the very loud middle fan which is always on.

Also great would be to turn off LCD display and LED ligths.

Is this possible somehow?

It would be good to hear if some one has a better method, but I use a timer on the power plug. Just make sure it's set well in advance of the print duration. I have ruined a couple of good prints by getting this wrong and killing the power before it's finished.

Since most prints are long, often overnight, and sometimes need to be aborted mid print, I watch my prints with a drop cam and have the printer plugged into a wireless controlled switch made by Belkin. I can watch my print progress on my phone and also turn off the Belkin switch with an iphone app.

I haven't looked into the side ones.

The stainless steel duct does make them louder. You can print others but I find they deform over time.

I wonder if you welded it up if it would make it more ridged and make them slightly quieter. Probably won't make to much difference.