Cheap but Good Filament

lnpurnell

Posted · Cheap but Good Filament

Hi,

I am currently using Faberdashery PLA and it is working great so far but has anyone found a cheap PLA source (I am in the UK) that they would recommend?

I know it is not going tot be at the quality of Faberdashery but I am mainly concerned with the 2.85mm thickness issue on '3mm' filaments .

Just for some cheaper projects.

Thanks!

Leigh.

Hi your cheaper projects with cheaper PLA will get you more jams and frustration. :cool: What is the 2.85mm thickness ISSUE? All of the decent 3mm PLA filaments that I have experienced are 2.85mm

..I should add that Taulman used to make their nylons to 3.0mm. But people with Bowden tube printers, like the UM, were having problems with getting the filament through the Bowden so that Taulman, just over a year ago, changed their production to produce the filaments at 2.85mm instead.

Never use cheap filament, it's like cheap beer.

At the moment the only ones I use are Faberdashery and ColorFabb.

Have had good prints from the range of filaments from these suppliers. It's good quality good tolerance and gives good results.

The cheap import stuff from Amazon seems to cause a lot of problems so steer clear is my advice.

The guys and girls at both Faberdashery and ColorFabb are easy to talk to both on the phone and email, and Faberdashery have always included a small free sample .

Hi Inpurnell

I have to agree with the others here, I have tried some cheaper filament (Amazon and Ebay) and even though I managed to get some to print OK, the results were not great! I did also have more blockages issues amongst other stuff so I very soon stopped using it and went back to good old Faberdashery and Colorfabb.

I still test the odd filament here or there, but I have long forgotten looking for a sub £20 roll.

Where about`s in "Brum" are you?

Thanks for the advice, I have currently got Faberdashery loose filament, the only problem I have is that it seems to tangle alot, I currently have it on the floor about 1 meter below my printer but it still plays up.

Any tips?

Thanks.

Been using the pla from rs components for some time now, think it's £21 for 1kg. Haven't had any problems so far after about 5 spools. The abs is also pretty good.

I've also tried e3d pla and abs and had good results. Think they sell at £12.50 for 750g.

Avoid the verbatim filament from rs components though as I could only use about half the spool the rest snapped every 30mm as it unspoiled.

I've not tried Faberdashery filament yet simple because it's not spooled. I have seen some printable spools for unspooled filament on thingivers and youmagine you may want to try though.

E3D by the way do a very good pla called polymax enhanced for £27.50/750g. Not so cheap but it's very strong stuff!

Hi Inpurnell,

I've designed a few items for mounting the loose filament, either on a make up holder which can go up to very large diameters as well as a spool mount, and a little clip that uses loom bands or simular to keep you loose filamant together when stored, check out my designs on YouMagine.

To store my loose filament from Faberdashery I use a 42L "Really Usefully Box" and a 19L one that holds 4 boxes of ColorFabb.

Faberdashery are also offering spooled filaments now too. I have had a few tangled coils lately, but with the pause feature on the UM2 its not as big a problem as it once was.

If I put them on my filament spool I untangle as I load it then have no problems.

I buy my Fab filament in 40m or 50m lengths; I find anything larger than that a bit unmanageable unless you like spools in which case 100m lengths from Fab now come on a spool.

When I get my loose filament from Fab I lay it on the floor, to my left, then take the top end and holding it in my right hand, I pick up a loop and sort of place it/wind it alongside the other loop(s) on my right hand. You will probably get to a place along the filament where it is wound the other way and with your left hand you will need to spin the filament on the floor to get it winding the right way again - a lot easier than all that just sounded! The loops in you right hand should be a similar size to how the filament arrived - i.e. a lot bigger than the loops on a spool. Once you have all the filament wound around your right hand fingers you are ready to go and should not have a problem.

Avoid the verbatim filament from rs components though as I could only use about half the spool the rest snapped every 30mm as it unspoiled.

I have same issue from RS component.. Did you get replacement? Could it be a batch problem?

I have been using hatchbox. It's about $20 something a roll, but it's 1.75mm, they might have 2.85, I never looked. Bought off of amazon. I have yet to notice a real difference. Check if they have a uk division.

I have had good luck with Hatchbox PLA, both their 3mm and 1.75mm filaments have performed very well.

Never use cheap filament, it's like cheap beer.

At the moment the only ones I use are Faberdashery and ColorFabb.

Have had good prints from the range of filaments from these suppliers. It's good quality good tolerance and gives good results.

The cheap import stuff from Amazon seems to cause a lot of problems so steer clear is my advice.

The guys and girls at both Faberdashery and ColorFabb are easy to talk to both on the phone and email, and Faberdashery have always included a small free sample .

What he said! Cheap filament is nothing but a headache......