Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Blizz

Helping techniques for getting an UM2 heater block detached

I see a lot of videos passing by of people trying to change a heater block/nozzle with the complete head assembly still in place. This is very cumbersome and way harder than it needs to be.

The folks from UM have a couple nice tricks to completely detach the assembly from the rods so that you can work on the head without any problems. When they showed us on one of their Ulti-Evenings I got the idea to share this with everyone but never got the time.

Now with Anders' new heater block (which is awesome!) more people are going to attempt to disassemble their printer heads, so I figured it was time to do something.

I've documented their tips with a couple pictures and put it online. I know the layout is sh*t right now (as in: there is none) but I wanted to share this for people to find.

Let me know if you think things can be better (besides the layout, I don't have time to do a nice one right now).

So without further ado, here it is:

http://3dprinting.wtf/detach-printer-head.html

I've taken more print heads apart than I care to count, but I never felt like I wanted to remove the head from the rods before doing it to be honest. But I can see how some people might find it more handy to do it this way for sure.

It's a very nice explanation of removing the rods however, I learned something there. My method has been a bit more brutish as I've clicked the rods out and then rotated the blocks 90 degrees so that the rods can then slide over them. The method described here is much better :)