UM2go Short Belts

Labern

Posted · UM2go Short Belts

Hey,

I have had my New UM2go for a few days now but I'm having a few problems with printing.

At first the feeder was skipping heaps but I was able to resolve that. But also the lines aren't touching. Increasing the temp and slowing down the printer improves it slightly but doesn't resolve it. Even the Factory test print has the same problem. So I checked out Roberts helpful troubleshooting guide and it looks like my short belts are 2 loose.

I'm not able to push the motors down from the top as there is not enough room.

So how do you remove the covers to gain access?

It doesn't look like they are screwed in like on the UM2, so i have tried pulling on them but I don't want to break anything as it 2 new :pSAM_0434.thumb.JPG.f87029b6954200b707f172c10a6d0d67.JPG

SAM_0434.thumb.JPG.f87029b6954200b707f172c10a6d0d67.JPG

Thanks @DidierKlein, I was eventually able to get both sides out. the last bit took a while but got them out in the end without breaking anything.

So I have tightened both belts, Done atomic pulls a few times, Reset Firmware, adjusted temps, slowed down.

SAM_0466.thumb.JPG.610aa4cf8e82511cc9fae290bf5cedaa.JPG

None of them really solved it. I can get the lines to join but only when I go up to 225deg.

I used the Gcode in my UM2 (surprisingly worked fine) and it printed fine and was able to even drop the temp 10 degrees and it still printed ok.

SAM_0466.thumb.JPG.610aa4cf8e82511cc9fae290bf5cedaa.JPG

Posted (edited) · UM2go Short Belts

This looks like basic underextrusion. Your temp sensor may be off by 20C or so. Try testing your nozzle temp:

Edited by TheDeugd

@gr5

I tested the temp using your method and it seemed to be hotter then yours.

So I got out my temp tester and put a thermocouple inside the nozzle and held one on the outside. the first pic shows the temp inside the nozzle and the second shows the external temp.

5a330d69c5b81_InternalTemp.thumb.JPG.97745511b56cad2ea7c505b49253c812.JPG

5a330d6a7c1d9_ExternalTemp.thumb.JPG.5015e32fc68169bc6b586653a4fb1a96.JPG

As you can see the nozzle isn't cold.

5a330d69c5b81_InternalTemp.thumb.JPG.97745511b56cad2ea7c505b49253c812.JPG

5a330d6a7c1d9_ExternalTemp.thumb.JPG.5015e32fc68169bc6b586653a4fb1a96.JPG

I also installed Roberts Feeder and it didn't help.

I'm only concerned as my UM2 doesn't have these problems with the same Gcode file.

I know you are very experienced but I have to ask: What temp, speed, layer height were you using for that pink part?

Keep in mind that the speed is controlled in like 7 places in Cura.

Also what was your shell width set to? It looks like .8 but if it's actually .85 or .9 that would explain the problem.

Also is flow rate at 100% in your filament settings in the um2go and flow at 100% in the um2go?

Also is this pink filament more than half empty? And have you used this same roll of filament on another printer successfully?

I know you are very experienced but I have to ask: What temp, speed, layer height were you using for that pink part?

Keep in mind that the speed is controlled in like 7 places in Cura.

Also what was your shell width set to?  It looks like .8 but if it's actually .85 or .9 that would explain the problem.

Also is flow rate at 100% in your filament settings in the um2go and flow at 100% in the um2go?

Also is this pink filament more than half empty?  And have you used this same roll of filament on another printer successfully?

The Pink roll is a new one that came with the printer and haven't tried it on another machine yet but I have used blue on the UM2go and it had the same problem. Also the test print done at Ultimaker that came in the box was silver PLA and it also had the problem.

I have printed a few items with my own settings and also printed items that came on the SD card with the printer.

SAM_0478.JPG.b5e60d236bed68a39af15c76a8edfa03.JPG

Setting pulled from the Gcode are as follows:

5a330d812522b_Screenshot(9).thumb.png.7b65aa13e176dff5fcea55591ed66ec6.png

5a330d8139696_Screenshot(10).png.71a1906863e05dc3f935b863f15cc0e4.png

was printed with default PLA setting of 210deg, flow on machine set to 100% and 2.85mm diameter. I measured the filament and its 2.85mm

I also still have issues with the material skipping back, even with Roberts feeder. I have also unwound the roll so the filament is really loose.

I'm beginning to think the Teflon part may have something wrong so I will check it.

SAM_0478.JPG.b5e60d236bed68a39af15c76a8edfa03.JPG

5a330d812522b_Screenshot(9).thumb.png.7b65aa13e176dff5fcea55591ed66ec6.png

5a330d8139696_Screenshot(10).png.71a1906863e05dc3f935b863f15cc0e4.png

Well it looks like I have solved my issue.

I removed the Teflon insulator and it had a rough texture. I passed some filament through it and compared it to a spare insulator. The one from the UM2go was hard to pass the filament through. the indentations from the feeder was scraping along the inside and wasn't smooth. while the spare one i had passed through easily. After replacing it here is the print results, A big improvement.SAM_0484.thumb.JPG.0266f5aa54633efd50569cbd111456e4.JPG

Will contact support to get a replacement.

SAM_0484.thumb.JPG.0266f5aa54633efd50569cbd111456e4.JPG

• Like 1

Good idea Teflon part.

Could also be manufacturing residu inside

nozzle. or Horribly mal-manufactured PLA.

Some item inside powden tube? did you try to manually

feed something through the bowden tube?

So it was some kind of under extrusion. Interesting that you solved it. I would not have thought about the teflon as it's a new printer fresh with no printing.

Maybe select this answer as the best one to put it up in the topîc?

Yeah it was kind of troubling for me. but just a process of elimination. only other thing after this was the nozzle but i can go down to 190 now with no under extrusion.

The best answer thing is a bit of a flaw when you find your own best answer but i cant mark my own. Also my first question was answered by you @DidierKlein earlier but my issue continued and turned out to be something else entirely. So would marking the best answer for the original question be best or what fixed my issue?

Posted (edited) · UM2go Short Belts

Labern thanks for posting your findings. If you did not already, may I suggest you install the I2K insulator by http://www.3Dsolex.com. Since the moment I have installed it, my teflon coupler problems are happily solved, it is really very effective in protecting the teflon from warn and deformation.

http://3dsolex.com/i2k-insulator

Photo-04.03.15-14.04.34-300x300.jpg

Edited by Guest

Labern thanks for posting your findings. If you did not already, may I suggest you install the I2K insulator by http://www.3Dsolex.com. Since the moment I have installed it, my teflon coupler problems are happily solved, it is really very effective in protecting the teflon from warn and deformation.

http://3dsolex.com/i2k-insulator

Photo-04.03.15-14.04.34-300x300.jpg

Hey, I have A I2K ready to install along with an Olsson Block, wanted to keep it stock at this stage for testing perposes and cos it's to new :p I also had installed one on my UM2 and had issues when printing tiny parts so I removed it again. But I will retest it as it may have been something else that caused the issues.

• Like 1