Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
mfknjohn

New to 3D Printing and Looking for some help/advice

I recently purchased the Ultimaker 2 Extended for my office to print out prototype parts before sending them to production. Our prints have been so-so and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction, I may be doing something wrong with settings or something. While watching the printer i noticed it is moving quite fast when performing travel movements and it looked like filament was being improperly placed so i slowed down some speed settings. I have provided a picture of my settings as a reference. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks-

John

5a330e327b448_PrntSettings.thumb.jpg.1f831378d66db9f0065fcaa80578e038.jpg

5a330e327b448_PrntSettings.thumb.jpg.1f831378d66db9f0065fcaa80578e038.jpg

• Like 1

Hi @mfknjohn,

Depending on what model you are printing you may want to reduce the speed to 50mm/s or 60mm/s.

I assume you kept the default temperature at 210ºC or 220ºC?

It is fine for PLA at 50mm/s or 60mm/s but for 100mm/s you need to increase the temperature too.

Not all models allow for printing at this speed, depends on detail and complexity too. Since (I assume) you are still in the beginning of your 3D print adventure I would recommend to print at lower speeds first, and when you get more familiar you could try to go faster.

The resolution is also pretty high, 40 micron. I would recommend to go with 100 micron (0.1mm) at first. If you insist on a high resolution I would suggest 60 micron. 60 micron is already very high, and the difference between 60 and 40 micron is very hard to tell on the naked eye. Comparing 40 to 60 micron does save you a lot of time, compensating your decrease in speed.

Good luck!

I would leave travel speed at 150mm. Also 0.6 thickness for 0.04 layer it's a bit overkill. The printing speed it's quite low 20-30 so I suspect that you want the best quality posible. I think the filament marks that you say are the ones when moving from inside the geometry and that it's something you can fix with the plugging retract while combing.

Also 0.06 it's quite good quality and a time saver. A video of the movements that you say will help locate the settings that you can adjust.

I would leave travel speed at 150mm. Also 0.6 thickness for 0.04 layer it's a bit overkill. The printing speed it's quite low 20-30 so I suspect that you want the best quality posible. I think the filament marks that you say are the ones when moving from inside the geometry and that it's something you can fix with the plugging retract while combing.

Also 0.06 it's quite good quality and a time saver. A video of the movements that you say will help locate the settings that you can adjust.

Hi! Just to rule out any miscommunication, when I suggested to reduce the speed I referred to the printing speed, not travel speed. Printing speed is the speed your printhead moves at while extruding, traveling speed is the speed it travels at when, for example, crossing a gap (not extruding).

Travel speed at 150mm/s is ok.

@mfknjohn, could you also upload a picture of the model you are trying to print?

Hi! Just to rule out any miscommunication, when I suggested to reduce the speed I referred to the printing speed, not travel speed. Printing speed is the speed your printhead moves at while extruding, traveling speed is the speed it travels at when, for example, crossing a gap (not extruding).

@mfknjohn, could you also upload a picture of the model you are trying to print?

Indeed. I mentioned it because on his screenshoot he has lower travel speed to 50mm, and that at that layer height will leave a lot of filament scratch while printing the flat surfaces, specially without the retract while combing pluging.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Sorry guys I got really busy at work. So we switched from cura to Simplify 3D and I love the ability to mess with settings so much more on this program and I believe I got the results that I wanted, Cura was just too difficult to fine tune settings where and when i needed it. I did everything you guys mentioned regarding speed ( not travel) and everything is working great, the model is a bit tricky though but I will try to upload a picture right now

IMG_20150604_120202.thumb.jpg.9967ac4c53ef32571ee16fbcfbb894b4.jpg

IMG_20150604_120219.thumb.jpg.05499278e6e248526ab9664457adc8ed.jpg

There is not a lot wrong with those prints, what size barb are they?

Just like to thank you for giving me an idea.

Your photo of the barb fitting prompted me to make a similar, 5mm barb, for a unit I am working on. Didn't think 3D printing would be able to make the unit strong and accurate enough but it can with ease.

Yea it was a prototype at work and we test tomorrow but we're hoping for good results!