PTFE Coupler ring

Posted · PTFE Coupler ring

Are you talking about a white ring part? It fills in the small metal gap between the nozzle and the metal fan shroud - remove the 4 screws on the shroud, put in the hole from above, then put the shroud back on over the nozzle and put the 4 screws back in.

Or do you mean the 3dsolex i2k isolator black ring? That goes below the white teflon isolator - you have to take the head completely apart for that.

Or is there a new thing?

Are you talking about a white ring part?  It fills in the small metal gap between the nozzle and the metal fan shroud - remove the 4 screws on the shroud, put in the hole from above, then put the shroud back on over the nozzle and put the 4 screws back in.

Or do you mean the 3dsolex i2k isolator black ring?  That goes below the white teflon isolator - you have to take the head completely apart for that.

Or is there a new thing?

Thanks for your reply. I'm talking about the small white ring called "PTFE Coupler ring" which you can see is a part of the hot end pack now:

https://shop.ultimaker.com/product/61/Hot-end-pack

Someone at Ultimaker said it was only implemented a couple of weeks ago...

That's what I thought you meant. Read my post again.

On rare occasions, some people have their part come off the bed and get dragged around by the nozzle and don't notice for a few hours. This can create a huge blob of liquid filament. This blob can enter *above* the fan housing through a thin ring around the nozzle and make quite a mess. This ring prevents that issue.

Got this from UM support:

----------

You simply place the ring over the nozzle tip then place the nozzle with ring trough the fanbracket.

Happy printing!

Is it normal that it come out like this?IMG_20150519_172144.thumb.jpg.67d89d087e62a17b72e003b8be8afb8b.jpg

IMG_20150519_172144.thumb.jpg.67d89d087e62a17b72e003b8be8afb8b.jpg

Posted (edited) · PTFE Coupler ring

lol!  No.  The white part should be flat/flush with the bottom of the fan shroud.

Did you remove the fan shroud and put the ring *above* the fan shroud?

Read my post again. You have to remove the 4 screws, then the white ring slips nicely into the hole in the fan shroud from above. Then put the fan shroud back on.

Edited by Guest

If that's wrong then they are installing it incorrectly over at UM... Because that's what it looked like on the few printers I've seen with it pre-installed so far.

Yes I thought so. It came out of the box like this, but I will fix it. Thanks!

I have been thinking for some time to make a similar ring, but a different use; to provide fan-shadow for the removable nozzles from 3dsolex, so that fan full not so easily creates an error.. .what do you advice?

Posted (edited) · PTFE Coupler ring
    The white part should be flat/flush with the bottom of the fan shroud.

Well I could certainly be wrong!  I received mine in the mail by itself and played around with it and that was the only way that seemed correct.  To install it any other way won't it just fall off?

I just looked at it again and thought about it again. The way I put it in seemed perfect - it's held down by the nozzle/block and held up by the fan shroud. It has the added bonus of keeping the fan shroud from touching the nozzle block. I'm pretty sure I did it correctly but have a message into support to see for sure.

Edited by Guest

Okay - after speaking with 3 people in support now it sounds like there are probably 2 different rings - a longer ring that sticks out like in the photo above and a shorter ring where it doesn't stick out at all. The only "wrong" way to assemble it ends up having it fall right off. So as long as it isn't falling off then it's assembled correctly.