Ventilation Equipment for Ultimaker 2

angelamv

Posted · Ventilation Equipment for Ultimaker 2

I am beginning to set up a makerspace in the university library where I work. The space will have two Ultimaker 2 3D printers. Unfortunately, the space we will be using is small and poorly ventilated. After looking through the Ultimaker support pages, I found a page on safety and compliance that recommends the use of a fume hood with active carbon filtering. Could anyone recommend a model of fume hood that has been used successfully in a small makerspace? Otherwise, does anyone have any suggestions of alternative ventilation options or equipment? I plan on stocking the space with PLA plastics, but I would prefer to be prepared with proper ventilation in case ABS plastics make their way into the makerspace.

Thank you! Any ventilation suggestions are appreciated!

I don't think you need any ventilation if you have less than 10 printers. 10 printers printing PLA non-stop will make less aromatic hydrocarbons than frying one hamburger every 3 hours. That's an estimate. ABS is much worse but even ABS is not too bad. I think you should try it first and decide later if you really think it needs venting or filtering. I suspect you will conclude it's fine without even if the printers are used non-stop. Let us know (how big is the space anyway?).

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I will get a little bit out of topic here.

We are building a stand for our Ultimaker 2 at office, mostly to keep it safe from dust, since here that is a serious issue.

My doubt is about the need of ventilation during the printing process. We designed a case that is about 600mm by 530mm by 530mm (h/w/d) made out of acrylic and plywood. The idea is to always keep the printer inside it, even while printing. Do I need to provide any ventilation system for when its printing? I didn't want to keep any ventilation slits because of the dust, but I worry that the heating of the printer might be an issue.

Posted (edited) · Ventilation Equipment for Ultimaker 2

Hi there,

I'm in no way an expert and could be wrong, but I would go towards some ventilation though. Maybe a ventilation system with micro holes that keeps away most dust?

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Electrical cabinets at work have fans with dust filters on them.

[media-thumb=5748][/media-thumb]

You wont want all the electronics getting hot. there can be problems if the stepper motors get hot 2.

Good for printing abs though.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Ventilation Equipment for Ultimaker 2

Thanks! We ended up installing vent hoods (like one would use above a kitchen stove) with carbon filters above each 3D printer and have only been using PLA plastics. These seem to be working pretty well.

*Update (8/17) We've also added a tower HEPA type air purifier to the room, just to be safe.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1